Leaky shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I re felted my shed roof but didn't use any water proof sealant glue etc, just banged in the tacks. I realise this was now an error because rain water seeps into the shed roof through the gaps in tacks. Any advice on how I can sort this?

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input. It doesn't leak per se but in heavy prolonged rainy weather you can see that the wood is damp from the inside.

When you say 'tacks' I hope you actually mean galvanised felt nails?

Damp boards means that you do have a small leak(s) and properly nailed felt doesn't leak. Either coat with bitumen as suggested or redo - but first get advice on where you are going wrong with your nailing.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes I used galvanised felt nails. I said tacks as they are pretty small things. There are about 5 damp places and it looks like the water must get via the nails as it's dryer above that point. The felt overlap points downwards as well so the water can't run into that, the water must come in where the nails are?

If the nails are driven fully in, the felt seals around them. What you have to be careful about is when you poke a nail in to start it off and it falls out and rolls away. You have to get the replacement nail in the hole you just made.

Without seeing it close up, it's hard to work out what you might have got wrong. The overlap on felt should be at least 3 inches. Look for any nicks or tears, getting loose nails or other crud under the felt is a recipe for problems.

Ultimately, you either live with it or fix as has already been mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back