Leaky toilet repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Closed couple toilet was leaking at the cistern so i assumed that the doughnut or metal plate needed replacing (although it is barely a year old)

However after removing the toilet, I was surprised to find that there was no metal plate

Just the doughnut and white plastic nut

Is this normal? Or do some toilets not come with these plates?

In order to prevent leaks, what would be a belt and braces repair?

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_084324369~2.jpg
    IMG_20210112_084324369~2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20210112_084330969~2.jpg
    IMG_20210112_084330969~2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20210106_132400829~2.jpg
    IMG_20210106_132400829~2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Theres not two long bolts through the bottom if the cistern that fit through holes in the pan with wingnuts underneath which compress the doughnut when tightened? if it does there no need for the plate your refering to

How is the cistern currently tightened down onto the toilet? As suggested if there isn't a plate then there needs to be 2 bolts that sit inside the cistern with seals, they extend out through the bottom of the cistern, into those 2 holes in the pan and then tighten underneath.

You guys are right. There are two long bolts that sit inside of the cistern and they fix to the pan

As the bolt were quite rusty, I'd like to replace it.

Is there a universal bolt/seal that i can pick up?

The bolts were held together with plastic wing nuts which does fill me with confidence

I'll also replace the big white plastic nut along with the doughnut. For a belt and braces approach, should i use some plumbers mait or silicone?

Sponsored Links
If the kit linked to is not one , get stainless steel bolt set that resist rust.
In theory all the plastic nut needs to be is tight as the seal is made by a washer between a flange on the flush valve and inside bottom of the cistern ..I say..in theory:)

If the kit linked to is not one , get stainless steel bolt set that resist rust.
In theory all the plastic nut needs to be is tight as the seal is made by a washer between a flange on the flush valve and inside bottom of the cistern ..I say..in theory:)
Thanks

Took your advice and picked up stainless Steel bolts

Interestingly the ss bolts were almost a pound cheaper

Tried to reuse original doughnut that's barely a year old and the leak happened again

Replaced the doughnut and problem solved

Thanks for the help guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back