Lean to extension roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at taking my lean-to poly carb roof off and replacing it with a timber and tile roof with two velux windows. My plan was to use 195 x 47mm C24 timbers at 400 centres. The room is 3600 wide and 3800 from the rear of the house to the front of the lean to. I have calculated that I need rafters 4000mm can any please confirm 195 mm x 47 mm C24 would be the right choice of timbers.

Sponsored Links
I was going to use 100mm celotex insulation between each rafter and then 25 mm attached to 12mm plaster board over the full ceiling. I was just questioning myself over the rafter sizes I wasn't sure if I needed to go bigger

Sponsored Links
My slightly sketchy trig makes it just over 18 degrees if the 3.8 is the horizontal projection

rafter length is apparently 4m (hypothenuse)
horizontal run is apparently 3.8m (adjacent)
Cos=Adj/Hyp so we want the inverse cos of 3.8/4 = inverse cos of 0.95 = 18.2 degrees.
Agree?

rafter length is apparently 4m (hypothenuse)
horizontal run is apparently 3.8m (adjacent)
Cos=Adj/Hyp so we want the inverse cos of 3.8/4 = inverse cos of 0.95 = 18.2 degrees.
Agree?
With those figures yes (18.1948). Assuming that the 4m rafter bisects the joist at 3.8m.

Sorry I thought I put this on I can get 15* pitch.
3905 mm front to back external
4043 mm with the 15* pitch
There is no supports from front to back just back wall plate and front wall plate with two velux 780mm x 1140 mm.
Concrete roof tiles

Does using 195mm x 47mm C24 seem ok or do I need to go for something bigger

Sorry Noseall what does a con' interlocking at 0.45kn/m. Mean?

If you’re doing it properly by building regs to get signed off, you’ll probably need to overboard with 40mm Celotex like I did.

Yeah, I thought 25mm was a bit light, I had to do 50. Go the foil board and separate plasterboard route rather than the plasterboard that comes with polystyrene stuck to it. Easier to fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back