Learning Welding...

The hole punch was very useful too. On for example, a triumph spitfire, the rear wings met the body via a raised flange, a hole every 2 inches then mig into it on a high setting gave a very tidy looking spot weld needing minimal cleaning up.
Bear in mind that for repairs as a result of the dreaded Mot mans beady eye it is not acceptable to spot weld the repair , the complete perimeter should be welded.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that for repairs as a result of the dreaded Mot mans beady eye it is not acceptable to spot weld the repair , the complete perimeter should be welded.
Only if it’s structural and even then, if you are replacing a whole panel that was originally spot welded, a spot welded replacement is acceptable. Using the hole punch and plug welding is acceptable as a spot weld. Just be liberal with the underseal. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Would the Mot man have failed it if it wasn't structural though!
Possibly, if it was bodywork damage caused by accident or corrosion likely to cause injury. Or insecure or likely to fall off or likely to let in exhaust fumes or an unsafe modification. Quite a few non-structural bodywork failures.

Sponsored Links
It must be different in Essex, round here you could have a full time business welding rusty cars!

Most Essexonians drive brand new Chelsea tractors. Some who get their hands dirty (plasterers, etc) have Chelmsford tractors instead.

If the op could learn how to fix Range Rovers, Freelanders, etc mechanically - he'd never be out of work. (y)

Last edited:
Well the local college has now pulled the beginners welding course and only offer it at City & Guilds level 2 and above. Another college only offers the course full time at beginners level. The only course I could do within a week is £600+ which I'm not paying...

With that in mind, I'll just get myself a MIG welder and have at it. Plenty of things I can fabricate at home and - if I'm any good - plenty of small areas on my cars in need of patch repairs!

Last year, building a porch outside the house, I was quoted about eight hundred quid for a railing. Approx 3m long and a 1m return down steps. I bought myself a gasless mig welder at Machine Mart for £160 and did it myself. Took a bit of practice but the result is A1. (can't think of any other way of putting that?) The steel cost twenty-odd quid. 40x4mm tube. Afterwards, I put the welder on ebay and sold it for £150, but I did add a roll of wire which cost about twelve quid.

Gasless is a bit spattery compared to gas welding, but it only takes a touch with a soft grinding pad to clean it up.

Reassuring to read!

I think I'll go for a second hand MIG welder at this stage, just so my initial 'money down' isn't too much. I keep seeing box section steel on Facebook Marketplace for reasonably cheap prices as it happens.

Reassuring to read!

I think I'll go for a second hand MIG welder at this stage, just so my initial 'money down' isn't too much. I keep seeing box section steel on Facebook Marketplace for reasonably cheap prices as it happens.
It’s a shame you’re not near to me - I have a Snap-On Promig 170S welder with Eurotorch and an auto darkening mask that I’m going to be getting rid of in the near future. Whatever you buy though, don’t buy a gasless one.

It’s a shame you’re not near to me - I have a Snap-On Promig 170S welder with Eurotorch and an auto darkening mask that I’m going to be getting rid of in the near future. Whatever you buy though, don’t buy a gasless one.
Unless you are going to be welding outside

I'm sure we could have worked something out if I were closer -- thanks for the thought!

I'm going to show absolute novicey here and ask what is probably a daft question, but what is the advantage of gas over gas-less? I understand why gas is used while the welding is happening, but I keep reading that MIG can be done fine without gas. In fact I mentioned this to my Dad (bearing in mind he worked with timber his whole life…) and he said he never used gas.

I have no idea either way – I just want to do it right!

Before it's too late, H & S.

I know bugger all about welding, but I do know that:

- you can burn yourself (thermally, and sunburn-like)
- you can set fire to things
- you can knacker your eyes
- you can knacker other peoples' eyes
- you can poison yourself (zinc plating?)

Research all of the above, and more, then enjoy learning (y)

Sponsored Links
Back