Leave it running or not?

Sponsored Links
OK, I was one out, 550W, 750 for cross fire.

surely it doesnt make that much difference anyway, a switch mode PSU only takes what is demanded from it (give or take for efficiency)

OK, I was one out, 550W, 750 for cross fire.

surely it doesnt make that much difference anyway, a switch mode PSU only takes what is demanded from it (give or take for efficiency)

It doesn't even need a 550W. You could run that box on a decent quality 400W easily.

And efficiency is a big one. Not to mention 850W PSUs are either very expensive, or complete and utter crap.

The Op said that the system was tired, dirty fans etc..best to clean it first(!), but look at ATM's, supermarket tills, servers, all just PC's of one sort or another, always left switched on. Worst thing ever turning off an old hdisk or fan, and it never returning to life. Obviously if power savings are worse than component replacement, then don't do it.

Although saying that, I always turn mine off, it has a horrid high pitched whine, and is located in the bedroom. (computer AND wife!) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
At work a few months ago they started telling eveyone to turn off their pc when they went home instead of leaving them on overnight.

This was part of an energy cost saving exercise.

Since then the number of pc's going wrong has sky rocketed and our 1 man IT team has been very busy changing hard drives and power supplies.

In this instance it definitely does not seem to make economical or enviromental sense to turn your pc off.

Back