lec fridge freezer 50/50 - problem - OUTSIDE ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i have just aquired an lec fridge freezer, IT IS OUTSIDE IN MY GARAGE IN THE COLD.......i let it settle for 48hrs before switching on, if i leave the door open, it buzzes away quite merrily and ice starts to form in the freezer, as soon as you shut the door - after a few minutes it stops and does NOT restart again however long you leave it, even if its over night. The only way to start it again is to switch it off at the wall for a while - open the door and switch it on?. please can anyone help
many thanks for looking
dave

Sponsored Links
there is only one sensor [thermostat]

and its located in the fridge so when the fridge is happy the motor stops
as the fridge is happy with a temperature of about 2 to 7% it will not work in a cold garage

the only way to make it work is to warm the room up abouve about 12%[maybe more] :cry:

surely there has got to be a better way, i've heard of loads of people who keep there fridges in the shed/garage?
dave

yes fridges or freezers combined ones dont work i am afraid :cry:

that would need two seperate circits in your fridge/freezer

Sponsored Links
ah, so if i have a small fridge on top of a small freezer, this would definately work ? could you try to explain this so i might understand
cheers
dave

welll no because fridge freezers only have one compressor and one sensor

you need seperate units with there own sensors and compressors
combined units dont work in the cold unfortunatly :cry:

s*%t, i'm confused, even though the shed is cold, the inside of the fridge isn't and it still won't switch on to cool itself unless the door is open ??
sorry for being dull, but i can't understand why having another sensor and compressor would make it work, does that mean if i get a combined fridge freezer with 2 compressors, it will work?? and theres me thinking this was going to be easy !!
cheers
dave

ok the fridge requires usualy between about +2degrees to about +7 degrees now if the the temperature inside the building is below about +7 the fridge will be happy and not require the cooling to work

so youve got to either turn the thermostat control down a bit[usualy higher numbers] or warm up the building or a combination of both
turning the thermostat control too much will result in the fridge freezing as well

with two lots off equipment its like having seperate fridge and a seperate freezer looking after there own bit

thanks, turning the thermostat up or down will not restart the fridge, it only seems to work if i turn it off then on with the door open, as soon as the door shuts, it goes off?
i think i'll have to get 2 seperate ones
dave

you can get fridge/freezers with separate controls for each compartment. If you look at the back you will see two compressors, one for the fridge and one for the freezer. If you read the manufacturer's literature, it will specify the minimum room temperature and this is usually a typical heated room temperature. So, a fridge is unlikely to work properly in a garage in winter and you'd probably have trouble with a freezer too.

You can do a modification, change the mechanical thermostat for an electronic one :LOL:. Been there done it.

There used to be a kit to fit to Lecs-this came in the form of a sensor that switched fridge lamp on to raise internal temp of fridge to overcome low ambient lockout that you describe-dont know if still available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back