Lecy box makes buzzing noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have one of the older boxes with the wheel that turns,is it the cold that makes it buzz because it only seems to happen in winter.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the meter, the disc is turned by magnetic induction from a coil, as the mains is alternating at 50 cycles every second this can make things that are loose buzz, obviously the disc has to be loose to turn and sits on point bearings, over years of use these can wear a little and cause a tiny ammount of movement leading to a buzz - if it's any consolation mine does it too, and yes more in the cold (there must be some physics behind that!!).

If it bugs you report it as a fault and they will change your meter - on the positive side worn bearings mean friction which means a slightly less efficient rotation ultimately leading to minutely lower readings :D

The buzz is usually caused by loose laminations in the core assembly, which buzz when the coil is energised.

it does it more in the cold for one of 2 reasons..
1) the meter is in a cold location ( such as a garage ) and the cold makes the metal plates in the lamination shrink a little and then they aren't as tight.
2) you use more electric when it's cold so the meter will spin faster, which means that there's more current going through the EM coils.. same reason a transformer under heavy load buzzes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies,talking about paying less for the lecy,i was smashing off a concrete fillet on a downstairs bathrooms lean to roof (it was an old cottage) The box that surrounded the meter stuff in the bathroom! was tight against the ceiling with no top on it.

This fillet was the hardest I've ever come across,anyhow the job gets done and the house owner returns from hol's.He says what have you done to my meter,a small piece of concrete had gone straight through the top of the meter.

The bit of stone had landed on the meter wheel and stoped it going round.

I just said "how long did it take you to report it" :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back