LED Down Lighters - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put some LED down lighters in my bathroom and just wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere to buy them from as Ive never bough them before.

Also how much typically do they cost and what sort of area does one light cover?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
There are many different types, models, brands available.
You could install a low voltage type (typically 230V) or and extra low voltage type (typically 12V and will require drivers).
The type of voltage you use would be dictated by the location of the lights (which zone they are sited).

You can get fittings that the lamp, driver and fitting are all interchangeable but you can get a composite fitting where all components are integrated into the one fitting.
Then you have options on dimmerable or non-dimmerable, the former are normally a little more expensive.

As the room does provide moisture, you would require a fitting that can deal with that and does not allow the moisture to breach the barrier formed by the ceiling.
So would need to be rated against that.
I like the icage and auroa sola products.

Cost wise generally around £25-30 mark each.
The manufacturer will offer recommended spacing of their products, but mt rule of thumb is generally no closer than 300mm no greater than 1200 a part and around 600mm from the perimeter walls. Spacing will be dictated by ceiling joists and other obstruction within the void, also check the voids vertical and horizontal gap, to ensure you have enough clearance for the units and the required ventilation.

Your downlights need to be suitable for the environment. So at least IP44, maybe IP66 depending on where in the bathroom they are being sited.

They must comply with building regs part C2 (Resistance to moisture) otherwise teh steam will get pulled into your roof space, where the damp will rot the timbers :(

Now, how much light do you need? How big is your room, what needs light, and what doesn't. Do you want to dim them, or not?
The amount of light delivered will depend on the output of the lamp (now quoted in Lumens), the angle of the beam (these vary greatly), the height of the ceiling to the surface to be illuminated and much more.
Also, there are several light colour types, white, daylight white, warm white, etc...
Have a read of this Photometric report on a typical downlight, and you'll see there's a lot to think about
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/LEDlite/LTFRD12DL.pdf

You can buy them from any reputable electrical wholesaler, or many on-line suppliers.

Sponsored Links
cheers for the info - re the link posted by the victorian, do these lights on the website including everything i.e bulbs etc?? are they ready to install?

Hi,

Yes they include everything, I bought the silver trim as I preferred the look (they come standard with the white trim).

They are fully integrated fittings with everything. There are no removable "bulbs". Just connect up to 230v and off you go.

They come with white colour bezels. You can buy other bezels in chrome etc if you want.

Note, these are dimmable, but you'll need their recommended dimmer for them to dim properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back