LED downlighters in plastic trunking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A qualified electrician friend is proposing to fit LED downlighters in 3" plastic trunking, which is screwed to the reinforced concrete kitchen ceiling. He thought it would "look neat".

I told him that I feel this is a bad idea because the LED driver heatsinks will be unable to get rid of the heat, so the air inside the trunking will become increasingly hot until something gives!

He's now considering alternatives but asked me to ask you experts for suggestions, please. One possibility is a suspended false ceiling, giving about 8" gap. I'm still concerned that there would be a heat build up but maybe the concrete ceiling would "sink" it away.

(I'm not an electrician but I'm an Electronics Engineer with a B.Eng.)

Sponsored Links
OK, maybe I should explain my thoughts further. (Part of my degree course was Thermodynamics.)

Suppose you take a plastic drainpipe, held horizontally and sealed at both ends. Inside the pipe is a fire bar connected to a variac. You wind up the voltage gradually. There comes a point where the heat energy radiated by the fire bar exceeds the heat energy passing through the plastic pipe and being dissipated into the air outside the pipe. When this equilibrium state is exceeded, the air inside the pipe becomes steadily hotter until something catastrophic occurs. In this example, the pipe would probably melt.

In the case of the LED lamp drivers, which are dissipating a few Watts each, it's possible that the heat can pass through the plastic trunking quickly enough so that the equilibrium stage is never exceeded. However, plastic is a good heat insulator, which is why I have my doubts.

Loft insulation is a great insulator and doesn't bother them.

Use direct to mains lamps if you're really bothered.

Not sure just how much heat you think they'll generate, but it's less than that.

Sponsored Links
A qualified electrician friend is proposing to fit LED downlighters in 3" plastic trunking, which is screwed to the reinforced concrete kitchen ceiling. He thought it would "look neat".

If you like the lighting style of a London Underground platform ...

What's wrong with LED track lighting? Will give you a better spread of light than downlights in trunking.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLTH300W.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back