LED Downlighters - Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm in the process of decorating my property and would like to change the std plastic MK ceiling rose to some modern LED 240v downlighters. These are only for bedroom(s) and living area(s).

With so many brands / manufacturers out there its difficult to know which is a good choice in terms of quality / performance. Hopefully someone can offer some recommendation.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I install, use and like these
https://www.scolmore.com/products/inceptor-micro/

Integrated LED downlights (IMO) are better than buying downlights and shoehorning a different LED lamp in there.

But downlights in a bedroom, really?? You'll not like gazing at theceiling and having a spotlight shining in your face.

Other posters may have other things to say about downlights, generally!

Aurora are a good make.

Another important recommendation is to not use little ones. You say "change the rose" - are you intending to just put one downlighter in?

In bedrooms they are generally unpleasant because you tend to look directly at them, and if you have a loft above then any recessed light will require an airtight enclosure over it, sealed to the ceiling board, and with the loft insulation reinstated over it.

But downlights in a bedroom, really?? You'll not like gazing at theceiling and having a spotlight shining in your face.

I generally just like downlighters because they are clean and not dust collectors......But seems this is a not the done thing in bedrooms as both posts so far have questioned this.

Aurora are a good make.

Another important recommendation is to not use little ones. You say "change the rose" - are you intending to just put one downlighter in?

In bedrooms they are generally unpleasant because you tend to look directly at them, and if you have a loft above then any recessed light will require an airtight enclosure over it, sealed to the ceiling board, and with the loft insulation reinstated over it.

No, not just one, I am plastering the room so was going to patch the centre up and drill 4 new holes at suitable positions.

Thanks for the manufacturer recommendations.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm really just looking for an energy efficient, sleek looking, lighting fitting / system. I do not like the chandelier type which I have in other rooms.

As I live on my own I probably wont use it as a bedroom more storeroom / study. But is classed as a bedroom should I choose to sell the property.

So BAS & TTC what kind of fitting would you recommend for a bedroom? I was also thinking I could opt for dimmable so could lower the intensity.....

Last edited:
So BAS & TTC what kind of fitting would you recommend for a bedroom?
AAPEN.JPG

A recessed like this
pc5828338-decorative_20_watt_4000k_5000k_led_surface_mount_ceiling_light_fixtures_3_8_inch.jpg
or surface this this
marine-led-light-fixture-24led-surface-mounted-with-on-off-touch-button-cool-white-1-500x500.jpg
both have enough area lit to work well. However the idea of using a fitting designed for quartz lamps with LED is all well and good when converting, but pointless if starting from scratch.

See now how long before this post is deleted as being pointless!

A recessed like this
pc5828338-decorative_20_watt_4000k_5000k_led_surface_mount_ceiling_light_fixtures_3_8_inch.jpg
or surface this this
marine-led-light-fixture-24led-surface-mounted-with-on-off-touch-button-cool-white-1-500x500.jpg
both have enough area lit to work well. However the idea of using a fitting designed for quartz lamps with LED is all well and good when converting, but pointless if starting from scratch.

See now how long before this post is deleted as being pointless!

I can't quite tell what that is....is it a standard luminare with a diffuser? Looking at the clips as an indication of scale it looks rather large? Is it essentially a large circular disc which is sat flush in the ceiling? That would be a big cut?

I can't quite tell what that is....is it a standard luminare with a diffuser? Looking at the clips as an indication of scale it looks rather large? Is it essentially a large circular disc which is sat flush in the ceiling? That would be a big cut?
All that is, is a standard ceiling rose.

We like the Enlite E8's. 8w, about 500 lumen and I think a 60° beam angle. Interchangeable bezels too.

I generally just like downlighters because they are clean and not dust collectors......But seems this is a not the done thing in bedrooms as both posts so far have questioned this.
For good reasons.

And they make living rooms look like hotel foyers...

No, not just one, I am plastering the room so was going to patch the centre up and drill 4 new holes at suitable positions.
The fact that you're going to need 4 times as many lights as you had before ought to alert you to the fact that the new lights aren't actually any good at lighting up rooms.

The fact that you're going to need 4 times as many lights as you had before ought to alert you to the fact that the new lights aren't actually any good at lighting up rooms.

Most light fittings now have multiple lights in them 3 to 4......so I don't really consider 4 that excessive.

ae235

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back