Best brands for Mains LED Downlighters

You are ruining this forum. I've got those lights, please explain why the are not suitable?

Sponsored Links
You've deduced they are "not fit for purpose" yet now ask how many in what size room! Which is it? Not fit for purpose or do you now admit that 4 (for example) of these can easily light a decent sized room where a single 40w pendant could not?

eg, one bedroom I have these in is 5.6m x 5.7m

I'd actually go as far to say that I didn't need to have 4 in that room, they were originally put in as back ground lighting yet outperform the central pendant by a LONG way.

Sponsored Links
You are ruining this forum.
I'm not the one telling people to use lights which are not fit for purpose.

Neither is drgl, the OP asked for down lighters that are cheaper. Drgl provided a link to some down-lights that are cheaper.

They are fit for purpose, in that they fulfill the criteria laid out in the original question.

No problem, as mentioned though with the ones I linked to you don't need anywhere near as you may think you do! They have a wide beam angle & are very bright (dimmable too!).

drgl- great to know as my architect is always over specifying how many lights are needed!

Guys, on a similar theme, can anybody recommend external leds downlighters for eaves overhang. Many thanks

You've deduced they are "not fit for purpose"
Yes, because the fundamental design is one which is to not provide general room illumination.

yet now ask how many in what size room! Which is it? Not fit for purpose or do you now admit that 4 (for example) of these can easily light a decent sized room where a single 40w pendant could not?
What about a 100W pendant?

Not, BTW, that I am such a clown as to think that the only alternative to a ceiling peppered with recessed torches is a pendant - I leave that kind of thinking to people like you.

I'd actually go as far to say that I didn't need to have 4 in that room, they were originally put in as back ground lighting yet outperform the central pendant by a LONG way.
And when these 4 are on the lighting is even? They are not unpleasant to look up at when lying in bed? Was the central pendant simply not powerful enough?

Actually, I don't know why I'm bothering to ask you these questions - you won't look at it rationally, logically, or with any concept of engineering elegance.

I don't know why you're bothering either, tata!

I'm sure there are numerous other threads on here you can pollute with your ramblings & lack of help.

drgl- great to know as my architect is always over specifying how many lights are needed!
No problem, if you have floor plans I'm happy to suggest how many I'd stick in going on what I found.

drgl- the extension is approx. 6m wide x 9m long with a 7mx2.1m wall of sliding glass doors providing the natural light. One end is the linear kitchen units and kitchen island, in the middle the dining area and at the other end a living space with large L shaped sofa. The ceiling is 2.63m high. The architect is proposing 15 leds downlighters and 2 pendants ( 1 over kitchen island and 1 over dining table ). Externally 6 leds in 9m long eaves overhang.

Really need a floor plan so you can see where work tops or wall cabinets are...

Another suggestions would be to get one of the downlighters and see for yourself how much light they chuck out these days. Bare in mind that if the extension is unpainted etc this will all change once fully finished, for that reason it's sometimes better to take one to a finished room and fix to the ceiling temporarily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back