Integrated or GU10 LED downlighters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some experience / advice on whether to go for integrated or GU10 LED downlighters.

I see the integrated units are significantly more expensive when compared to GU10 fitting and a separate LED lamp. Can the cost be justified? Roughly 3 times the price……

I read they are designed to work with that fitting and maintain correct cooling to maintain unit operation temperature leading to LED efficiency and maintenance of colour temperature.

I have spoken to a couple of electricians who say they stay clear of the integrated ones as customers generally do not want to pay 30 quid per light when there are usually several…..plus the unit is a bin job if there’s a failure compared to popping a new lamp in…..

At this stage I’m leaning toward the GU10……but I’m still trying to see where the justification is of the integrated units as surely there must be some to warrant 3 x the price??

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sometimes more than 3x.

I picked up some of these at the clearance price, but you can see what they were originally.

http://auroraclearance.com/downlights/integrated-led/au-im10232.html

I'm not saying that there is a linear relationship between price and quality, but LED MR16 lamps with GU10 bases are made as cheaply as possible, as the target market is people who only want a quick and easy replacement for existing lamps and who want to pay as little as possible. The package precludes the use of a decent voltage converting and current controlling circuit.

Sometimes more than 3x.

I picked up some of these at the clearance price, but you can see what they were originally.

http://auroraclearance.com/downlights/integrated-led/au-im10232.html

I'm not saying that there is a linear relationship between price and quality, but LED MR16 lamps with GU10 bases are made as cheaply as possible, as the target market is people who only want a quick and easy replacement for existing lamps and who want to pay as little as possible. The package precludes the use of a decent voltage converting and current controlling circuit.

Wow that is some discount!!

I guess also my initial comments would also justify supplying cheap carp to the customer and make things easier for the installer from a sales point, as I cant see most customers wanting to pay 3 x........

We don't pay anywhere near 3x the price for integrated over retrofit. In fact, it's not even 2x

Priced one up recently. I think it came to £12 or £13 for retrofit with an Enlite lamp and then £22 for an Enlite E8 with bezel. (Dimmable)

The Enlite integrated fittings are a few lumens brighter than their retrofit counterpart but are 8w instead of 3. They do an E5 which is 5w but think that's less l/w

I don't like the integrated ones. In part that's my own personal reaction to the junk-it-and-buy-new mentality. The integrated lamps are more expensive and they aren't necessarily any better. They have to be thrown away if the lamp gives out, which it shouldn't (fingers crossed) for ten or twenty years, but if it does then you're screwed if you can't even find the same fitting in five years time. GU10 lampholders cost nothing, and the lamps to go in them are available for three or four quid, less in big packs. If the lamps turn out to be crap and fail in a couple of years then you can replace them at whatever tiny price they are then. If the integrated fittings turn out to be crap then you're out big time.

Still, go with the fitting you like the look of, especially if you like remodelling every few years and if you think you can manage replacing the whole thing in a pinch without having to call in a professional. Consider what might be available in 2 or 5 or 10 years that might be amazing or you might just want: dimming; smart lighting; energy-saving; who knows what.

In part that's my own personal reaction to the junk-it-and-buy-new mentality.
And then you immediately jump on the junk-it-and-buy-it-new bandwagon by recommending cheap and nasty lamps where junking them and buying new ones is what will be happening all the time.

And then you immediately jump on the junk-it-and-buy-it-new bandwagon by recommending cheap and nasty lamps where junking them and buying new ones is what will be happening all the time.
Now you're just being silly. I didn't recommend cheap and nasty anything. I recommended buying lamps from large high street retailers that might last 10-20 years, or you might be unlucky and they'll melt in two or three. Either way you're quids in and there are easy replacements. Not left looking for a 10-20 quid fitting that is out of warranty and probably not even made any more. Still, its a personal choice, not the personal crusade you seem to think.

If you are going to buy integrated fittings of similar appearance to GU10 LED lamps and separate fittings, the integrated ones will be more expensive to buy and far more difficult to replace the one that fails in a few years time.
Integrated means you are also stuffed if you subsequently want to change to a different colour temperature, beam angle, brightness, dimmable or not, etc., after installation.

where the justification is of the integrated units as surely there must be some to warrant 3 x the price??
Manufacturers profits.

If you are going to buy integrated fittings of similar appearance to GU10 LED lamps and separate fittings
But why would you?

What is this mad obsession which people have which drives them to try and illuminate rooms with an array of torches recessed into the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back