LED questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking at getting some recessed downlights for part of my kitchen. Understand about fire rated etc.

I never knew it was so complicated though. There seem to be integrated LED's and then GU10's. The integrated ones say LED's can not be replaced and generally areg more expensive.

On the face of it the integrated ones seem to claim better efficiency/energy savings etc. Is anyone used to fitting and using these regularly and could give any advice whether integrated are better than the GU10 type.

There does seem to be an enormous price variance on led lights when i search on ebay. I don;t want to but the wrong thing.

I was looking at some "Knightsbridge VFRLED1CBR Fixed Downlight 12V 3 x 1W Cool White LEDs-Brushed Chrome".

Any advice welcomed.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks PBoD. Would you usually fit these in preference to GU10's and think they are worth the extra money? I guess it depends on your customer but what would you do if it was your house I guess I am asking?

In your experience is the light 'good' comparable/better than halogens and the GU10's.

I ask about the Knightsbridge as I am watching some on a bidding site, (closing down electrical suppliers or excess stock or something). They are selling 20 of em for about £135 - I don't need 20! but figure at that price I could probably sell 10 on ebay cheap and get a bargain.

Many thanks again.

Can't give you any informed information on the ones you are considering buying, as I have never fitted them.
Would always be wary of auction site, unless is a trader you have used previously and been satisfied.
Also closing down stock don't appeal.
Have you a link to the product (I promise not to gazump you) you can PM ME with it if you wish.

Personally if choice between integral fitting or lamp only.
I would chose integral.

Sponsored Links
You need at least a 5W LED to get comparable light output to a 50W halogen lamp, but 7W or even 9W is actually as bright, despite manufacturers claims that their <5W lamps are as bright.

Also colour is important. I normally fit warm white in domestic houses as it's what people are used to after years of incandescent and halogen lamps, and white can look very harsh.

Ta PBoD after your last I decided I would hold fire - don't want to fork out that sort of money and get wrong ones - though did seem a bargain - went for £120 in end plus £20 tax and then £20 buyers premium and approx £10 deliver £170 in all for approx 20 of them.

But as you say only 3 * 1 watt led's and having not seen them in action decided it was too much of a risk.

Thanks very much for advice. Much obliged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back