LED Downlights 0.5s Delay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening, I have a box room in my house that has 4 LED downlights. When they're switched on there is a noticeable 0.5s delay, almost like a flicker, before they turn on. I've attached a rough diagram of the wiring. (Its a very simple set-up). They're brand new lights - so not older style or anything. Just wondering if that'd the norm ... but my kitchen LEDs don't do the same? The wires are very old - black and red 2 core and earth so could that impact it?

Sponsored Links
My kitchen now has LEDs. Early morning, I walk in to the kitchn, turn the dimer down to min and push it to turn the lights on. Full blast of light for about 2 seconds before it dims.

I like the idea of LED lights but I much preferred the performance of my halogen lights.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’d say this Delay is normal, and bulb dependent. I have some with delay, some not.

The colour of (the insulation) on cables makes no difference to their performance. Why should it?

to be fair they have asked a question because there understanding off how things work is different to you or me so a reassuring answer will help them ask again rather than keep quiet and make a mistake that could have not good results:D

Thanks for the replies. They're on a single gang switch, not a dimmer. I'm getting the impression it could just be normal. They're £11 Luceco branded lamps, 5W ones. So maybe just a delay in the built in driver.

Good Evening, I have a box room in my house that has 4 LED downlights. When they're switched on there is a noticeable 0.5s delay, almost like a flicker, before they turn on. I've attached a rough diagram of the wiring. (Its a very simple set-up). They're brand new lights - so not older style or anything. Just wondering if that'd the norm ... but my kitchen LEDs don't do the same? The wires are very old - black and red 2 core and earth so could that impact it?
Don't worry.
I have two independently directly switched LED Down lights in my hallway which have sometimes exhibited such hardly noticeable "flicking-on" problems since they were first installed about 15 years ago.
Hardly noticeable and not a worry.

Try the kitchen led’s in there, different brands perform differently.

Blup

New dimmer required. Those designed specifically for LEDs don't do that.

Yeah, it may indeed need a new LED "friendly" module. As an aside, I did recently replace a faulty dimmer module for a mate. It controls about 10m of LED strip lighting. he paid about £30 just for the module (I appreciate that price is no guarantee of anything) and it takes up to 2 (maybe 1.5) seconds for the LED strips to illuminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back