LED driver replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen I have 4x 50w/12v halogen ceiling downlighters controlled from a 500w Richmond dimmer module on a grid switch. The same dimmer also controls 4 transformers running 8x 20w/12v halogen under cabinet lights (6 on one side of the kitchen, 2 on the other side - either side of hob). 2 other dimmers on the same grid control other sets of ceiling lights. All installed by a pro during an extension build 3 years ago - and very good he was too :)

All works fine, but the cabinet lights (supplied by the kitchen co) are a pain in the a*se – bulbs fail frequently, fittings are poor so replacement bulbs difficult to fit, and the fittings run very hot. I’ve not been able to find any halogen fittings that are much better, so what I’d really like is to replace them with LEDs for all the cabinets.

Question is: where can I find dimmable LED transformers/drivers that can be fitted to the lighting circuit as a straight swap for the existing units? My Google searches have left me stumped.

Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Question is: where can I find dimmable LED transformers/drivers that can be fitted to the lighting circuit as a straight swap for the existing units? My Google searches have left me stumped.

Any help much appreciated!
This website has both constant current (your lights need to wired in series) and constant voltage (your lights need to wired in parallel and are normally limited in number)
http://simplyled.co.uk/LED-Driver-Transformer_B23PJ8.aspx?gclid=CNySq8qX-60CFUcTfAod_go4Og
Not sure whether they will work with that dimmer though - check specs

There are many others... Search for Constant Current LED drivers or Constant voltage led drivers.

In my kitchen I have 4x 50w/12v halogen ceiling downlighters ... 2 other dimmers on the same grid control other sets of ceiling lights.
Just how big is this kitchen, that you need so many lights?

Question is: where can I find dimmable LED transformers/drivers that can be fitted to the lighting circuit as a straight swap for the existing units?
Why would you want to dim task lighting in a place of work?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link.

Kitchen/diner including extension is about 8m x 5m
Lights on full = task lighting
Lights dimmed = accent lighting when we're not working/cooking etc

As I say, all works well for us - just looking for a better solution for the cabinet lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back