LED Flood light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fitted a 150 watt Ledvance LED floodlight with 2 year warranty.
It replaced an old halogen. It looks as though it has some kind of controller on board so I expect that will fail at some point.
Brilliant light from it btw.
It was costly so I was wondering how long will it last?

Sponsored Links
My first thought was a sarcastic one
but then I thought, maybe there's an indication on the manufacturer's web site. Did you not think of looking there???
(hint, read the last sentence)

Screenshot 2016-12-21 14.45.34.png

EDIT, and ooh look, the website has a whole page about guarantees
https://www.ledvance.com/services-and-tools/services/guarantees/led-lamps-guarantee/index.jsp

:rolleyes:

I just looked on the box and it said 2 year warranty. Mebbe the website is being a bit generous?
Just thought some of you sparks might have experience of them failing but I suppose the technology is a bit new yet.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If there is a warranty, then you may need to register it.

"If" ?
The website you linked too seems to say their is a warranty. Its also written on the box.
Though no paperwork in the box to facilitate registering.
Is registering necessary?

Last edited:
Is registering necessary?
Some makers require it. Click/scolmore do
https://www.scolmore.com/inceptor7-registration.php
They only provide a warranty if the installation was carried out by a registered electrician.
Keep the receipt!

Some say 30000 hours. Rather optimistic I think.
There used to be a contributor on this forum (not here anymore) who always said that a manufacturers stated lifetime of a product meant that 50% of the installed base would have failed by the stated time of xxxxx hours..
He may well have been right.

The product data sheet for LED 150 W 6500 K BK LEDVANCE FLOODLIGHT says 20000 to 50000 hours (the 4000 K version is less).
https://www.ledvance.com/en/product-datasheet/8954/129543
Maybe someone else can say what the L70/B50, L80/B10 and L90/B10 refer to...

It has been tested at 25 °C, so hotter or colder will reduce the time the light lasts and the number of switching cycles it does will have an impact.
1682752833293.png

Last edited:
Note that the figures are predicted lifetime. And probably mean/average figures.

If you took two lamps and turned them on. Suppose one fails almost immediately, and the other lasts for 100,000 hours. That would give an average lifetime of 50,000 hours.

That's the thing about statistics that many people don't get. If you took one domestic flight a day, every day of the week, odds are you could go 36,000 years before you’d die in a plane crash (https://flyfright.com/statistics/). Or you could die in one tomorrow.

I do wonder if the LED lamp bought in 2016 is the same as the one bought today? My move to LED worked well to start with, some really small bulbs by today's standards, 1.8 watt from memory SES candle, then 3 watt, and finally got some 5 watt golf ball shape, and in those early years non failed, until I got a really expensive one, a 5 foot tube, to replace a fluorescent tube as could not get 65 watt any more, and the 58 watt seemed to have a short life with the 65 watt ballast, but the 24 watt LED lasted less than 18 months, cost around £22 and for most of the 18 months the house was empty so not being used.

Sold house to my son, and he fitted down lights also LED in that room, and they were also short lived.

This house the SES LED's were 6 watt, and we have a lot, and very few failures, got a pack of 2 GU10 colour changing smart LED's and the one tried out in kitchen did not last long, but second one on landing has not failed yet, and a look into the failed one, 20220603_113820_small.jpg shows how complex they are, did have a G9 fail and opened to find a dry joint, fixed and back in service, but since moving to LED can count failures on my fingers, less than 8.

But to me the big question is are they damaged with spikes on the supply? I have a SPD fitted, and my failures are less than my sons who does not have one, but it could have just been a bad batch my son bought?

I note today we use lumen rather than watts, but some of the laws were written before we went to lumen, so the limit without planning was 150 watt, one was not permitted to fit 300 watt quartz halogen without planning consent. So really we should not be fitting over 10 watt LED, but I have not seen any updated version of the law, and if the 150 watt was aimed at Sodium then OK for 60 watt LED.

However the spread seems so different, the equivalent does not work, I have two outside LED lamps, one integral and one with bulb, both carriage lamps, and same wattage, but the integral lights the path far better than the bulb one, mainly as bulb shines in wrong direction.

But 150 watt back in 2016 that was some lamp, may be a plane spotter?

Ive had Led floods in which the data sheet says connecting to a pir in busy places reduces led life so the amount of on off cycles must affect led life

Ive had Led floods in which the data sheet says connecting to a pir in busy places reduces led life so the amount of on off cycles must affect led life
It might. The table above given by @RepairingDave gives the number of switching cycles for those predicted hours…. Didn’t you see that?
Lots of other influences too including high summer/low winter temperatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back