LED light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I don't usually post in here as I tend to leave electrics to the experts, but I have such a small job to do I thought I'd tackle it myself.

But I wanted to double check to make sure I am doing it right.

Anyway I bought an LED ceiling light to go into our hallway. At the moment it have a conventional light fitting. I have attached pictures of both.

Do I simply attach the live (brown/black) wire to the live end where the old rose was. And then do the same with the neutral (Blue/white)?

current light.jpg LED fitting.jpg light details.jpg

Sponsored Links
You have a loop at the ceiling, which means the three red cores in the central terminals are all connected together as a live loop-in. These three conductors are permanently live when connected together, but are not directly electrically terminated to the light fitting. If your new fitting does not have a spare connector to loop in at, then you need to get an insulated connector.
This will also be true of the earth cores, they need to be terminated together at an earth terminal on the fitting if supplied. If the fitting is double insulated/class II fitting, the earths need to be terminated together in another spare connector.
The remaining conductors are neutral blues to neutral of fitting and switched line blue sleeved red to live of fitting.

It is unclear if the existing rose can be covered by you new fitting, if it can then it would be a simple case, of taken a neutral from rose to fitting and a switch line. Plus earthing the new fitting if required, the data label does not state the class of fitting.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back