LED Lighting in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've read through some posts and am none the wiser.

I have a bathroom measuring 1.79m by 2.7m. I want to install downlight as its a low ceiling. I went to b and q and spoke to the sparky who said don't touch LED lights because they don't give out enough light they focus more on one area.

Im now totally confused. SHould I get LED or stick to halogen? I am thinking I need to install 5 downlights.

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
LEDs are many and varied. You can buy naff ones that don't compare well to you standard 50W GU10. But they are also some very good ones that offer comparable light. But they are not cheap!

I would say expect to pay around £15 - £25 for a good quality LED bulb, plus cost of the downlight fitting. Or, around £40 and upwards for an integrated/all in one LED downlight.

Philips Master are very good. They do a 2700k (very warm white) which works well.

Downlights are called downlights because they light down.

Also, because you are making swiss cheese out of your ceiling you have some serious issues to consider unless you do the job properly:
eg: where does all the steam go? into the loft
where does a lot of the heat from the bathroom go? into the loft

and there is a lot of other stuff to comply with that the B&Q "electrician" probably did not mention:
Building Regulations Part B, Part C, Part E, Part L (regarding thermal insulation) and Part P.

Oh yes, this work is notifiable, so get ready to stump up £200+ to your local council just for the privilege.

Thanks to BAS for the handy BR list

Sponsored Links
Halers H2 LED downlighters are fantastic. They are as bright as a 50W halogen GU10 lamp, but consume only 7W

Honestly they're brilliant. I fitted some for a customer and couldn't beleive how well they light the room. They have a fresnel type lens too so the light is more evenly distributed than with a normal halogen lamp.

I know it's never easy to tell from a photo, but this room was lit using 4 of the halers. 28W in total, and its really nice and bright, the lights are at full brightness straight away, and it's using hardly any electric.

daead7dd.jpg

I've only ever heard good things about Halers. I've not installed the dimmable version and only installed 2 of the normal ones in a shower cubicle but they do seem very good.

thank you all so much for the replies! Very helpful and I will certainly go LED. I suspect the initial outlay will be higher but the longer term costs lower

You will save money on both electricity and the cost of replacement lamps.

There's a handy calculator here to show what you'll save.

Even if you do want LED lights, don't, whatever you do, buy them (or indeed buy anything) from Victorian Plumbing.

They are liars, cheats and thieves, and they will rob you. Their products are all sh**e and their employees are all scumbags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back