LED lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get led spotlights installed, but I'm a little lost by the amount of spots lights required, my living room is roughly 4m X 5m and currently have a 13w light in the center of the room, my friends brother is a electrician and said I would need 8 lights, but if I installed that with 8 x 5kw lamps, then I'm right in thinking it would be the same as having 3 lights on? Also is there a brand that people tend to fit?
Many thanks kenny

Sponsored Links
There was a topic about this a week or so ago, I can't find it now but have a search, there were lots of links to various sites, design criteria etc. Use the lovely SEARCH feature. You'll find it.

But first of all. Please understand that the wattage rating is the amount of power that the lamp consumes. It has nothing to do with the amount of light that the lamp produces. Your existing light is probably a CFL, not an LED lamp, so you would trying to compare oranges with potatoes.

Light output is quoted in LUMENS. The amount of light output will vary depending on the colour of the light (eg warm white, daylight white, etc etc).

The amount of light delivered to the surface that you are illuminating (the FLOOR, perhaps) will depend on how high the ceilings are.

So, there's a lot of things for you to get sorted first, before you start designing a lighting plan.

PS Personally, I would not use downlights.

PPS I hope that you do not really mean 40kw of lighting!

Sponsored Links
I did mean 40kw of lighting I was thinking 8 x 5kw led = 40kw, guess this was wrong,
TTC's point was just a 'typographical' one - in that you appear to have got your 'W' and 'kW' muddled. 40 kW (about 174A at 230V) is more than double the total capacity of the electricity supply to the average house (and, at 16p per unit, would cost you about £154 per day!) :).

Kind Regards, John

You mean W not kW I am sure.

As to bulb size I have been rather surprised my living room when we moved in had 2 x 100W tungsten bulbs.

These were changed to 2 x 3 x 40W tungsten bulbs and it was like that for nearly 20 years ample light.

These with changed to 2 x 3 x 11W CFU and the tubes stuck up above the shades and looked rotten so it was decided to fit new fittings 2 x 5 bulbs and we used 10 x 8W CFU and the room was far dimmer than every before and we had to use reading lamps for the first time. Having paid out a fortune for the fitting and bulbs were not going the change in a hurry the lumen was around 3500 for the room the lights were very red on first switch on and slowly got brighter.

I bought 2 x 1.4W 100 lumen bulbs (LED) and on return since some more of the Philips bulbs had blown used them as a temporary replacement. These seemed brighter than the 8W CFU so keep an eye for next time Lidi had some on sale and got 8 x 3W bulbs at 250 lumen so now room as 2200 lumen compared with before 3500 lumen but the room is very much brighter.

Clearly this should not be the case going from 3500 to 2200 should have been dimmer but it is very much brighter now no need for reading lamps not quite to sun glasses stage but getting close far brighter than we really wanted with 26.8W total.

It would seem there are different lumen measurements some measure total of all LED's added some remeasure for device. Some it needs to be running for 30 mins before it is measured some instant all in all it means lumen is about as good as a chocolate fire guard at working out what you need only way is suck it and see.

I did mean w not kw, I think il just leave it with the eletrican and try different bulbs as time goes on, many thanks anyway,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back