LED spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding these to various rooms in my home. For example, the link below, rather than the older cluster LED type:

http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk...w-halogen-380-lumens-2-colours-available.html

Do these have integrated transformers, or do I need a single transformer for the multiple of the wattage on that switch.

As an example, one room will have five spotlights, say 5w each, and I would like to to have them dimmable. Am I right in thinking that I need a low wattage dimmer (25w min in this case), and a single transformer (min 25w here), and then just rin the lighting in standard 240v spot fittings?

or do I not need the transformer?

Clearly I meed to buy bulbs that are dimmable.

The main question is that of the spot fittings themselves, and the transformer issue... whether I need one at all or not.

Sponsored Links
part of the data from the specification tab from that page reads
Brand Mirrorstone™
Base GU10
Lumens 380
Power 6W
Input Voltage 240v AC
Equivalent To 60W Halogen
Colour Warm White and Cool White

230 volt means no transformer is required.

there claim off being 60w equivilant is a bit high
if you take a 60w normal bulb as being rated at 780 lumens 380 will be half although i recon if you multiply the wattage by 8 you get a good comparison
so 6x8 would be around 48w

yes, the link was just for an example, there are many of these available
- I assume there are the required electrics in the LED bulb housing themselves...

so no transformer required, and just the low wattage dimmer then?

Sponsored Links
I am adding these to various rooms in my home. For example, the link below, rather than the older cluster LED type:
It might be prudent to be prepared to be disappointed....

http://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/gu10-3-led-6w-led-60w-halogen-380-lumens-2-colours-available.html
So 380 lumens is the equivalent of a 60W halogen?

An interesting claim, given that a normal incandescent lamp at that wattage will give out about 15lm/W, and a quartz halogen at least 20...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back