LED still glowinf faintly when switched off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I recently put led bulbs ito my gu10 downlights and noticed that one of them appears to remain glowing slighly when switched off (the others go out completely after the intial cooldown)
A neon tester doesn't show any current but I realise they are not exactly fool proof.
I have heard you guys talk about something like residual current that comes from the wire running alongside or near another live wire.
Is it possible that this could be the cause of the residual glow, enough to power the 1.5watt unit very slightly but not enough to be light the neon.

Is this normal, avoidable, dangerous and how should I use my multi tester in this kind of situation to test any current/power?
Thanks in advance
Tom

Sponsored Links
It is probably some inductive or capacitive coupling in the cables to that light especially if it runs for a distance next to some other cables.If you were to put your meter on the fitting and measure voltage it would probably only be a few volts.As they are LEDs then they are probably more likely to show this up than a normal filament lamp
It is nothing to be concerned about.

What sort af light switch is controlling the LEDs?
Is it a standard on/off switch?

I have some LEDs at my house on a dimmer, which I have hade to wire in parallel a load lamp to get it all to work properly.

Neon testers dont show current, they show voltage, sometimes.
If your dustbin is being emptied tomorrow, put the neon tester in there and get yourself a proper multimeter.

TTC

Sponsored Links
neonamnesty.jpg

Taylortwocities said:
If your dustbin is being emptied tomorrow, put the neon tester in there and get yourself a proper multimeter.
Don't be so arsy - although neon testers are often misused, they have their uses.

RF you must have a spare bit of time on your hands and a freindly local PC, top picture!
They are wired into an ordinary switch
I do have a multitester but not sure of a) how good it is AVIX EST1004
or how to use it, I only ever seem to use the buzzer for continuity checking.
How would I measure how much current is coming through?
I have looked on here about using a ,ultimeter and it shows a link that deals with dc. Where can I learn?

Still, anything to worry about?
Thanks
Tom

Sorry, being a bit of a twazzock! thought the PC was putting amultitester into the bin, but that wouldn't make sense and it turns out to be a machete! Easy Mistake :oops:

Sounds to me like the light in question has not been wired up with the live switched BEFORE connecting to the LED so the light is receiving a permanent live.

Chivers7 said:
Sounds to me like the light in question has not been wired up with the live switched BEFORE connecting to the LED so the light is receiving a permanent live.

Not likely as the LED would be lighting up full brilliance.

The capacitive coupling between adjacent wires can be enough to power a LED to glow. Where more than one LED is involved often only one will glow, this will be the one with the lowest "strike" voltage. Leds do not light until there is about 0.7 of a volt present.

bernardgreen said:
Chivers7 said:

Not likely as the LED would be lighting up full brilliance.

not if it hasn't got a neutral permanently connected as its switched

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back