LED strip/tape lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any recommendations for LED strip lights?

I am looking for 1m strip, ideally with a plug (x3 - but plugged in separately)

Plug n play options seem limited/expensive.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you need them to be plugged in separately? - that would mean 3 power supplies - if you can have a longer strip cut into 3 x 1m strips, wired together I would have thought it would be cheaper and simpler. They only have 2 cables so are easy to wire together
I've some of these, one has been in for over a year. I think they're great:
99-76-84, Integral 12V IP33 8W LED Strip Light 5 Metres (Warm White)+ 99-51-39, Integral LED 40W Constant Voltage LED Driver 200-240VAC to 12VDC (White)

Thanks. Unfortunately the 3 strips are above 3 unconnected units with a gap in between so can't be connected together.

These look good, albeit slight pain having to buy and join 5 components (join strip, wire, driver, wire & plug) separately. I would have thought there would be more plug-and-play options.

There are a number of units considered as being strip lights, a unit similar to fluorescent often used under counters, and stick on ribbon with many LED units both called strip lights.

Of the latter there are two very different types, those to light areas, and those for decoration. Having a colour changing line of LED's can look good, and in the main one is not worried on how many lumen per watt, but to light under a cupboard you don't want to make kitchen any warmer than it has to be, so lumen per watt then becomes important, not so much because of cost to run, but so it does not heat kitchen.

In the main if the strip light does not say how many lumen it is, then designed for decoration only. LED used to light lumen per watt between 50 and 100, and LED for decoration can be less than 25 lumen per watt. So what do you want them for?

Sponsored Links
.... but to light under a cupboard you don't want to make kitchen any warmer than it has to be, so lumen per watt then becomes important, not so much because of cost to run, but so it does not heat kitchen.
Do you really think that any sort of LED lighting would have any significant effect on the temperature of a kitchen?

Quite apart from the very low absolute amount of heat that such lighting would put into the room, it would surely fade into total insignificance in comparison with, say, a hob (whether electric or gas), wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Size matters, old house very small kitchen, and window caught the sun, and back as far as I can remember it was a sweat box. And as a result every little bit that could be done to keep it cool was done, induction hob, externally vented hoods, and fluorescent or LED lights.

New house kitchen does not catch sun, and large enough to mean lights would not warm it up at all, it actually needs a radiator to keep it warm.

We will fit an induction hob, but not to keep kitchen cool. And having quartz halogen lighting would likely help keep it a bit warmer, rather than turn it into a sweat box.

My son has fitted blue LED lights all around his kitchen, they look really cool, blue always does, but I question will he still be switching them on in a years time? If you have a option at main light switch to select what lights one wants to use, likely you will use them, if you however need to switch under counter lights on from another location, then rarely used. My mother never seemed to use under counter lights for kitchen work, they were only used by me when doing home work from school.

Sorry, should have been clearer; I am looking for led tape for above wall units (behind cornice). 3x 1m.

TLC will sell you a kit that'll just plug in but you are paying quite a premium for components that can easily be bought separately.

Size matters, old house very small kitchen, and window caught the sun, and back as far as I can remember it was a sweat box. And as a result every little bit that could be done to keep it cool was done, induction hob, externally vented hoods, and fluorescent or LED lights.
Shutters on the outside of the windows?

Is the kitchen installed? The simplest way, as mentioned above, would be one driver, and to connect the strips. Can you chase a bit of wire into the wall between each length and plaster over? That's what I usually do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back