LED tape lighting, anyone fitted any? more specific 15m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i want to put some RGB tape lighting in our coving, i need 15m. from what i can see thats going to need two kits. i keep hearing that due to the distance that its better to power its lenght of tape on its own but from the same transformer, using wires taken to each tape.

so if i bought three kits of 5m and then a bigger transformer, then took the three sets of wires to each led tape then the leds should all be same brightness.

anyone doen this or can reccomend where to buy from, loads of sellers on ebay and amazon but look from china and worried if thats going burn my house down. this is one i found for 15m which is unusual as there normally 5m or 10m at most.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15M-...ormer-for-Garden-Party-Lights/1621284302.html

Sponsored Links
That's interesting, thanks.

I bought a reel of white LED strip via eBay and cut it into several shorter strips.

Two of these are fitted underneath kitchen cupboards and used intermittently for no more than half an hour a day. They are fine.

Another fitted above my computer keyboard was left on permanently and the LEDs went dim after a couple of weeks.

Nearly all the stuff on Ebay is the budget LED gear. That means it's the lowest density LEDs per metre so the light spread isn't that evenly dispersed. The transformers are basic too, which is why you've seen the recommendation to wire in the way suggested.

Better quality LED strip isn't that much more expensive. It runs with better quality transformers and can be cut to length in 30 cm increments.

I have some of the Ebay stuff, and have just come from a customer's house where he has installed some for his TV room. I had to laugh; I programmed his Sky remote to control the LG TV. The lights come on each time he presses for volume!

Have a look at the a firm in Halifax called The LED Lighthouse. https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/counter-sales They have a couple of different grades of LED strip plus the light diffusers, transformers, and ways of controlling the light either via wall switches or smartphone apps.

Sponsored Links
LED strips don't use transformers which are AC devices. They use DC power supplies, usually 12 volt.

But yes it makes sense to wire each strip separately, rather than end to end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back