Ledger plate bolt spacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched as best I can, but can't find what the recommended bolt spacing is for attaching a ledger plate to a wall. I am using a 6 x 2 joist as a faceplate for a suspended floor spanning 3.5 metres with support in the middle. I plan on using some M10 x 140 throughbolts but have no idea of the best spacing. Also, would these be in pairs or in a W shape?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this for remedial work in the ground floor sub-floor wall(s)? Or for new work in an extension for instance?

Hi Ree. It's a little office I'm building in a small granite wall outbuilding. The floor is concrete, but incredibly unlevel. So I'm going to do a ledger plate with suspended floor.

Sponsored Links
Every 600mm staggered.

We fix ours with screws first in any case. We fix the joists then use expanding bolts in between the joists so that none of the protruding fixings can clash with the joists.

Wow, thanks guys. I was thinking more like 2 every 4-500! It's a really uneven granite block surface it's attaching to and I will need to pack it a bit as well as there won't be much flat surface to lay against. so given that, would it make much difference?

Are you on nights noseall, or just a bad sleeper like me? :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate getting up early as that's the best time I sleep ironically, but I do like it when I emerge.

Do you think the uneven surface would require more anchors given that the ledger won't lay perfectly flat the whole length?

Push some mortar, knock some wedges, or squirt some foam into the gaps if they are more than 10mm, to stop the board twisting. No need for extras fixings

Thanks woody. I was thinking about filling the voids behind with mortar anyway, so it seems it was a good idea then. I don't have many of those!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back