LEDs flashing..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of my 5 50w MR16 halogens gradually died in the bathroom, actually the individual transformers died, due to a dodgy dimmer. I decided to replace with LEDs using a Kanlux 0-30w LED driver I picked up a while a go.

Just to test I decided to wire a plug on it & attach 4 LEDs in parallel, 12w load so within spec.

They flash like a strobe. Removong them all & inserting 1 at a time when 12v is live & no flashing.

I had the 4 coming off in radial fashion from a 5 way lever wire connector.

I rejigged 3 of them in daisy chain fashion in parallel (this is demonstrated in the driver leaflet), still flashed, removing 1 when live & the flash sorted itself out.

I have another driver incoming from Amazon same day, but wondered what was causing this, any ideas? Here's a video demo:

Sponsored Links
Faulty driver, overloading the driver, lamps not compatible with it, all of the above.

Solution - buy some GU10 lampholders and 230V lamps.

Sponsored Links
Everything requires an RCD for the latest regulations - although that doesn't really have anything to do with what can go where.

I'd hazard a guess the screwfix LAP bulbs don't like being in more than a set of 2. The £8 Amazon driver arrived, same behaviour.
However, I can work with what I have, I have 2 of the Kanlux drivers, & 4 leds to drive. The 5th light is above the sink & lower down & a sealed unit also blown, so this will be replaced with a sealed IP65 unit.

Whilst doing this excercise I replaced all the MR16 halogens in the caravan with the same LAP bulbs & no flashing happens, no doubt due to them being driven by the caravan 12v supply. Would this shorten their life at all being driven this way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back