LEDs or Halogen Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive found a place that sells downlighters with leds that are equivalent to a 20w halogen. Im using these in alcoves and in the landing area. They are not cheap though. Has anyone else used them?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I fitted six 230v GU10 IP65 downlights in the roof of a veranda on Friday. Lamps were Osram 5watt warm white LEDS.
I was more than impressed with the light output and colour.

As you say, cost is an issue at around £20 per lamp.

Prices will come down, eventually.

Like RCBOs. When the 17th edition first came out Screwfix were selling Wylex RCBOs at £35 each.
Look at the price now volume has really kicked in! scrooge

Yeh I guess so guys! Prob be halgens for now, like 20-35w ones

Sponsored Links
My mate is a lighting expert (sells lighting systems worth thousands to the filthy rich), and he would not recommend any LED down/up light at the moment sub £90.

The problem you've got is that the colour temperature required to get anything 'warm' is difficult to achieve, hence a lot of LEDs are wasted in manufacture trying to get this right with an accurate consistency.

The best on the market at the cheap end are Philips at £40 per throw, but even those aren't half as warm as ones costing twice as much. Oh and to kill the LED urban myth, don't expect them to last forever, either.

My mate is a lighting expert (sells lighting systems worth thousands to the filthy rich), and he would not recommend any LED down/up light at the moment sub £90.
When you get a chance, ask him what he thinks/knows about products using electroluminescent panels (e.g. Osram Planon), and if there are any commercial OTS products using them, whether you can get magnetic induction lamps in anything other than the Genura R80 lamp or the Philips QL bulbs, and when (if?) he thinks OLED lighting will become available.

The problem you've got is that the colour temperature required to get anything 'warm' is difficult to achieve, hence a lot of LEDs are wasted in manufacture trying to get this right with an accurate consistency.
Ditto what he thinks of the Thorn BaseLED light.

Oh and to kill the LED urban myth, don't expect them to last forever, either.
Not any with a decent output, that's for sure, unless you abandon traditional formats designed to retro-fit existing luminaires.

Sorry I'm late - only just remembered to ask!

When you get a chance, ask him what he thinks/knows about products using electroluminescent panels (e.g. Osram Planon), and if there are any commercial OTS products using them
Because of their low light output, you'd probably only find these panels on TVs or other back-lit applications where a low light output is acceptable. Otherwise they're not much good for lighting up a room or a subject. If you want non-directional lighting you're probably best sticking to diffused fluorescents or a Barrisol system.

Commercially there isn't anything off the top of his head for normal subject/room lighting.

whether you can get magnetic induction lamps in anything other than the Genura R80 lamp or the Philips QL bulbs
Probably, but why use anything other than a credible manufacturer like Philips/Osram/GE?

and when (if?) he thinks OLED lighting will become available.
They're probably already here! There's a lot of hype with LEDs, and this is just the 'next best thing' waiting to drain your wallet in the name of 'clean' energy and 'long lasting' luminaires.

Ditto what he thinks of the Thorn BaseLED light.
A good luminaire, they irradicate lamp replacement, but they're more expensive to run and offer nothing better performance wise over CFL.

Have a look at the Thorn brochure for these. It's statistics are a little misleading:

- On page 5, it shows payback after 5 years on CFL. But the expected life of the units is 50,000 hours, or 5.7 years!
- They have based the CFL energy consumption and lumen output on an LOR of 0.54 - no commercial lamp should (and doesn't) have an LOR lower than 0.6!
- The total power consumption of the compared CFL is 24W, so that's a bleeding inefficient switch start ballast in other words!
- On page 2, the Q-PAR16 is quoted as having 'comparable' output of 650 lumens. The Latest OSRAM Q-PAR16 luminaires have an output of 950 lumens with a 50W bulb.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back