Left hand/right hand side gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here so apologies if in the wrong topic, but I've stupidly bought a left hand hanging side gate whereas I should've bought a right hand hanging one. Schoolboy error in that I didn't read the small print that said "if you want right hand hanging, let us know". What a plonker! It was made to measure (almost) so doubt they'll exchange it. Came all the way from a firm in Devon to me in Essex so the return would cost just as much as a new gate, plus they'll probably charge me again for the right one.

What I want to know is can I insert a few more diagonal braces either side of the diagonals that are already there (for the left hand support) or am I completely scuppered? I was going to take out the diagonal braces and reverse them as it's held together with screws but they won't budge and I'll probably end up rounding the heads off.

I just didn't know if I inserted a two more RH braces (so it makes an X) if it would give it the support the gate needs.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
sketch-1654001109338.png
here's what I'm hoping..! Thanks.

If you can get the diagonals off then you can simply re-use them the other (correct) way, yes.

Sponsored Links
That wouldn't work. Sketch it on a piece of paper and see for yourself

If the braces are the wrong way round the gate eventually droops. Is that what you meant?

Yeah, just fit the two extra braces as planned. that the easiest and will do the job

Thanks all for your replies. Spoke to the supplier and unfortunately, the braces are glued and screwed. They actually suggested against putting in the extra braces that I was considering. Reckoned it would add that much more to its rigidity. I tried to remove the screws but they just won't budge anyway. Bit of a pain but have resorted to hanging hinged left rather than bodge a temporary fix. Won't be making that cock up again..!

It's a gate! You should have just put the extra braces in and be done with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back