Hanging two gates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got two 1 metre (width) gates to hang on right hand side of house and small gate on left hand side. Small one will swing off 3 x 1 bolted to wall. The right hand side one off a post but should I hang the left gate (on right hand side of building (gravel and patio stones man on steps) off 3 x 1 on wall or off a post?

Also, they will be near block paving. How far back from there should I put them to not interfere with block paving base?
20230210_114115.jpg
20230210_114123.jpg
View attachment 302008
20230210_113005.jpg
20230210_112655.jpg

Sponsored Links
I didn't quite understand most of the query. I'd hang the gates wherever the client wants them; their house, their aesthetic. In this particular case I'd consider a post that wraps the corner to align with the concrete post you say you're fixing to on the other side (good luck!) and also mean you can mount the gate so it's on the line between block and gravel.. seeing a few inches of gravel on the block side of the gate would look a bit gash IMO

Do you remember the previous thread about fitting a narrow gate between a garage and a conservatory? I mentioned a point (that ultimately I think was passed over) about not significantly narrowing the gap the gate fitted in by fitting a large post onto which the gate is hung. If you have a space 30 inches wide, fitting a 3 inch post that then hangs a gate using a hook-on-plate style hinge you might find that 5 inches of the usable gap disappear, taken up by the gate post and hardware. In narrow gaps, strive to fit posts on a location that isn't in the gap, and fit the gate to the post using hinges that means no part of the gate hangs in the gap either

I read it that he's going to fit a new post (next to the fence) for that gate to hang off hence querying how far away from the block paving it needs to be so the fence post concrete won't disturb the block paving haunch etc.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20230430-095807_Chrome.jpg

Two gates will be swung. On the right (near fence) off 4 inch post and left should I swing off wall (timber bolted on) or another post put into ground? And how many inches back from block paving to not disturb it?

Are you thinking of bolting timber onto the wall, then bolting the gate to that piece of timber?

The weight of the gate will pull the fencepost over. However you can prevent this by placing a post and running a lintel between the tops of the two posts, so they brace each other.

The weight of the gate will pull the fencepost over. However you can prevent this by placing a post and running a lintel between the tops of the two posts, so they brace each other.
It's only 1 metre wide gate. It's two gates meeting in middle

What you you think happens when you hang a weight on one side of a post, with a one-metre lever?

If you use a wooden post it will rot in the ground. You can avoid this by putting in a concrete spur, and bolting the post to it (unburied and not touching the ground)

The other post, bolted to the house and not touching the ground, will be OK

Do they need such a wide gate?
You could hang one from the wall so it's solid and have the other side as a panel with a post off centre?

i.e. 1200mm gate 800mm panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back