legal charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had reason to consult a solicitor for so called legal advice.
didn't really want to but it was a condition of a Building Society
This consisted of 2 visits to him each no longer than 10 minutes.
He wrote one 1 page letter, witnessed a document and posted said document back to a third party.
Just received his bill, £250 including vat.
Am I being ripped off or is this par for the course.?

Sponsored Links
Sounds about par for the course. Jist be thankful he didn't have to make any phone calls. My lawyer charges £25 for a two minute phone call. (I'm sure it was jist to his wife telling her to put the kettle on) ;) ;)

And if you complain to the UK equivalent of The Bar Association your letter will be treated as if it is giving off deadly radiation.

BTW ~3% of the lawyers become judges in the US and almost all the judges I have gone before have been indifferent, incompetent, corrupt or some combination thereof.

Sponsored Links
My partner is a lawyer and I'm always having a go at her about their charges but that sounds like a fair price to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stivino wrote:
My partner is a lawyer and I'm always having a go at her about her charges but that sounds like a fair price to me.

Is that per night?? :evil:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I went to a solicitor last week and asked for a breakdown of his charges,ie cost per hour,cost per letter.cost per visit.cost fo his assistant to do research,cost of phone calls.etc.etc.
Had a reply with a breakdown of their costs and an invoice for £42.00 :eek: .
For some reason I will not be using their services :oops:

the judges I have gone before

As the accused?? :lol You must be a repeat offender!!
Nah, verily, Sire, I was the plaintiff complaining about the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortune'.
Of course, none of what happened to me was even remotely my fault! :D

As to offending repeatedly, think of a slightly more self-aware "Doc Martin".

There's a book by Posner called "How Judges Think" but I always get bogged down after a few pages.
"101 things I learned in Law school" is pretty good, though.

Sponsored Links
Back