legal flue length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Could anybody tell me what the legal length is for a boiler flue. My sister is having some bother. She lives in a council property and 2 years ago they condemned her boiler and flue due to the flue wasnt at the right angle. They put in the new inspetion hatches and raised the flue slightly. She now has a crack in the flue. But the guy who inspected said he wasnt sure what the legal length was for a flue and at 8ft her flue looked to long.so can anybody help me as we still have no idea the correct length.

Sponsored Links
All boilers are different. You need to refer to the boiler specifications and manufacturer's installation instructions.

If its a council property then the annual gas safety check would either pass or fail the flue

So I don't know what the issue is? Check the certificates, but presumably it has passed, else whoever passed it has made a big mistake

If a gas engineer is not sure what the permitted flue length is, then he is not a gas engineer and consider referring him to Gas Safe register

If its a council property then the annual gas safety check would either pass or fail the flue

So I don't know what the issue is? Check the certificates, but presumably it has passed, else whoever passed it has made a big mistake

If a gas engineer is not sure what the permitted flue length is, then he is not a gas engineer and consider referring him to Gas Safe register

Referral to GSR is waste of oxygen. I reported a guy 2 years ago and after protracted correspondence all that GSR could tell me was that they have no legal status and despite charging for membership cannot legally enforce any requirements, with regards to standards of 'doing the job' on anybody (I STILL HAVE THE CORRESPONDENCE IF ANYBODY WISHES TO SEE IT). When I suggested that perhaps withdrawal of certification was an option they didn't respond. My own view on that is that withdrawal of certification would cost them the membership fees and NOBODY is going to chuck anybody out when it means chucking their membership fees out at the same time. In the end my only option was to contact my local BCO and register it as a new job and get them to come and inspect it - for which I would have to pay the requisite BCO fee AND if they considered the installation to be faulty, shut it down immediately and get it repaired/replaced at my own expense. GSR is a cash cow, and nothing else.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back