Lengthening tails

Don't know what size RCD it is but you shouldn't just have one of them protecting the whole building - section 314 of the regs refers.

That, and what you see on the meter board, is all I have.

Yep, what size trip RCD is it? Not a good design as a fault on any of the circuits will plunge the whole house into darkness.

Sponsored Links
Some of the things that spring to mind are reversing the tails, electrocute yourself, or not tighten a cable fully so it has a high resistance join.
Still I'd think twice about the location of the consumer unit - it probably one of the worst places to have it.

All fair points. Thank you.

Point taken about the CU. The Oven will be about 1m to the right of it when the kitchen is re jigged if that has any bearing.

What is the trip size, could be written as 0.1A or 0.03A? 63A does seem a little bit small for a main switch.

Sponsored Links
Thought it might be 30mA - the supply size if going by the label on the cutout is 100A so imo the main switch should also be 100A. Having one RCD protecting the whole installation is poor design. How much work would be involved fitting a new CU next to the meter and extending all the circuits to it? Would be my preferred choice if viable. It will probably be easier to have a sparky do it as it will be notifiable under part p of the building regs.

Thought it might be 30mA - the supply size if going by the label on the cutout is 100A so imo the main switch should also be 100A. Having one RCD protecting the whole installation is poor design. How much work would be involved fitting a new CU next to the meter and extending all the circuits to it? Would be my preferred choice if viable. It will probably be easier to have a sparky do it as it will be notifiable under part p of the building regs.

Arghhh it' so hard to argue against common sense isn't it! :LOL:

Yet again, all fair points Spark. I will discuss with OH about delaying everything until funds allow CU upgrade and relocation. Much appreciated, thank you. :D

All the above said, its all available from your local electrical wholesaler, 25mm tails & 16mm earth cable available by the meter.

Apart from anything else, you appear to have a 16mm earth into the connection block then changing to 10mm. This contravenes table 54.7 in the big red bumper fun book. Also, you appear to have 16mm tails from the meter to the switch changing to 25mm tails to the meter. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you appear to have a lash up. If you touch it yourself, you will become personally liable. Your options are a) save up for an electrician who is a member of a scheme - NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA etc - to sort it out and certify it, or sell the house to a mug who doesn't ask for electrical certificates.

Sorry
Chris

Apart from anything else, you appear to have a 16mm earth into the connection block then changing to 10mm. This contravenes table 54.7 in the big red bumper fun book. Also, you appear to have 16mm tails from the meter to the switch changing to 25mm tails to the meter.

They look the same to me. They also measure the same size in pixels.

Apart from anything else, you appear to have a 16mm earth into the connection block then changing to 10mm. This contravenes table 54.7 in the big red bumper fun book. Also, you appear to have 16mm tails from the meter to the switch changing to 25mm tails to the meter. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you appear to have a lash up. If you touch it yourself, you will become personally liable. Your options are a) save up for an electrician who is a member of a scheme - NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA etc - to sort it out and certify it, or sell the house to a mug who doesn't ask for electrical certificates.

Sorry
Chris

:eek:

They look the same to me. They also measure the same size in pixels.

Correct ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back