lesson learned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new rule #1 for DIY:-

When going to buy materials, just take the car. Two disasters have taught me this. First one was bringing back expanding foam in plastic bags on bike. Can cuts through bag and falls on ground, starts hissing. Then the foam starts coming out the bottom of the can. Not too bad this one, as holding the can upright only the gas was coming out. Not sure how I'll get the foam out the can though as it's still mostly full.

Take two. Carrying 2.5L can of woodstain in bag on bike, can falls out bag gets run over by back wheel. There's a very brown patch of road in Cambridge now. I was however very impressed with H*base (don't know if we're allowed to name stores?), who after I took the wrecked can in, said it was my only stupid fault they got me a new can at no charge :D

Am now committed to being lazy when getting supplies, especially anything that can leak!

Sponsored Links
bin the foam or should i say now setting lump off plastic
the gas foams it the air sets it ;)

I had similar, driving the van, braked suddenly, suddenly a loud Hissssss from the back, all the expensive computer equipment, unboxed, covered in cleaning foam. The loud Hiss, scared the heeby jeebies out of me!

But a tale told to me by a colleague, he had expanding foam container explode in his car boot, and it took a week to dig it all out ! :LOL: :LOL:

At least I had a load of clean computers. (NOT! They all had to be stripped and cleaned out)..grr!

fantastic when things go wrong we all learn so much from it lol :D :D

Sponsored Links
This has to be the best (sic).

Son fell from swing, thought his wrist was broken. Drove to hospital in my trusty 4x4. Getting him out from the back the seat hit a tin of black spray paint some nugget had left under the seat. ( Not me, but company van ect ect).
Blew up in my face, now covered in black paint. Hospital staff refused to treat my son as they wanted to treat myself, as eyes were obviously sprayed.
All sorted no damage.

Son had a slightly sprained wrist...............................
Would rather make sure he was fine than face the wrath of she who must be obeyed.

Also took me two weeks to clean the interior. Ford Rangers rock !!

So true, car is must when you buy any material for your DIY tasks...guess we learn hard way..

A few years ago the bodyshop/accident repair center I was working at, had a Vauxhall Zafira in with front end damage, not too heavy but it had a good bump, unfortunately the two 5L tins of brilliant white matt emulsion on the back seat flew forward on the collision, one of which hit the windscreen and split open(I know one hit the screen because it smashed the screen) the other split open too, couldn't tell on what though. 10L of emulsion makes a hell of a mess to the interior of you car :!: :!: The car was a total loss due to the paint damage to the interior.

I think a proviso to this is take a suitable vehicle.....

Many, many years ago, just after we moved into our first house I decided to secondary double glaze the sash windows with acrylic sheet.

Drove the 15 miles to our local Texas Homecare (now Homebase for the youngsters :D) in our Mini 1275 with a roof-rack, and bought an expensive 6'x4' sheet of 3mm acrylic sheet...

Had great fun trying to tie this large, very bendy, sheet to a 3ft square roofrack, but eventually I was satified it was safely secure......we got 2 miles down the road before the airflow got under it, lifted the front of the sheet and snapped it, which loosened the rest of the sheet which then fell off the roof-rack into the road and shattered. I think the biggest bit I managed to salvage was maybe 2'x1'.

I wasn't happy.... :oops:

A mate of mine went to b,n,q for some paint, just a small tin of gloss to finish off a job, stuck it on top of the parcel shelf so it would be easier to grab when he got home which was only 5 minutes away, sadly on the way he had to stop suddenly as a guy pulled out in front of him, the can of paint ended up down the side of that guys car and my mates windscreen was in a million bits on the road..the moral I guess is send your lass to b'n'q as she would still be trying to find a parking space in the car park!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back