Let a plumber blow up your house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should help to warn anyone about the dangers of DIY gas work!

My advice would always be to get a competent CORGI registered person.

These were two experienced plumbers but they were not registered with CORGI and while they were working in the house there was a gas explosion which caused very severe damage.

Both plumbers were charged but one has since died (they dont say why ).

Link to newspaper report:-

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/ne....1122337.0.plumber_in_explosion_case_dies.php

Sponsored Links
Agile said:

This was not "DIY" work.

Your advice is noted, however CORGI registration does not confirm an adequate level of competence, it only implies MINIMUM competence, and how would the average customer know that the particular tradesman did not have the correct module for the work being undertaken? CORGI registration is CORGI registration to most people.

These were two experienced plumbers but they were not registered with CORGI and while they were working in the house there was a gas explosion which caused very severe damage.

What is the relevance that they did not have CORGI registration? It does not necessarily mean they are incompetant.

my old boss is not corgi anymore yet he would still put alot of corgi engineers to shame. and some of the so called corgi people iv seen , some of the work is shocking.like oilman suggests, just because your corgi it dose'nt mean your any good.

oilman said:
Agile said:

This was not "DIY" work.

Your advice is noted, however CORGI registration does not confirm an adequate level of competence, it only implies MINIMUM competence, and how would the average customer know that the particular tradesman did not have the correct module for the work being undertaken? CORGI registration is CORGI registration to most people.

What is the relevance that they did not have CORGI registration? It does not necessarily mean they are incompetant.

Oilman, would you please link me to a story of a CORGI registered plumber (or plumbers), who has caused injury or death by carrying out work he was deemed 'competent' to do so.

Sponsored Links
Soggy_weetabix said:
Oilman, would you please link me to a story of a CORGI registered plumber (or plumbers), who has caused injury or death by carrying out work he was deemed 'competent' to do so.

Ooooh, how can I resist?
No, I can't.

I'm sure you recall the British Gas, Powermax, CO incident of a few months back, Tony.

This one;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/5202976.stm

It happens.

Corgi registration is a bit like having a driving licence; most drivers have pased a test at some time but some drive like morons, for reasons best known to themselves. It doesn't follow that all drivers are morons.

Soggy_weetabix said:

Why should you think I can do that? That is a typical response from the CORGI supportors brigade who wont hear a word that could bring their perceived omnipotent abilities into question, said against them. Do be realistic. Do you think that everyone who is not CORGI registered is incompetent in gas work, AND that all who ARE registered are competent in all they do?

Why do other oil servicing firms ask me to do some of their more difficult jobs, and why do I ask the manufacturers? It's because we are not competent in everything, despite the assessments we've passed, just as you aren't.

All this incident proves is that these two were neither competent to undertake the work nor CORGI registered as professional work requires.

Even if they were doing it DIY they were still incompetent though ... The only requirment of a DIY'er ;)

esra_ptrap said:
All this incident proves is that these two were neither competent to undertake the work

No, it doesn't.
No one has been convicted.
The survivor has pleaded not guilty.

Further comment at this stage is inappropriate.

Did the CORGI supportors club learn from New Labour, or did they teach them? They have a similar style.

1 Have an agenda, preferably hidden.

2 Plan your actions, and keep them secret

3 Find a story, and make adjustments that could justify what you are up to.

4 Ignore any facts that don't suit you.

5 Make unsupported claims

6 Line your pockets.

7 Ensure snout is in trough.

Sheesh Almightly

Why is it that everyone thinks that EVERY single CORGI reg person should be infallible and above mistakes and not be a C O C K at what he does

Do you know what there are doctors out there that are krap, lawyers who dont know what they are on about, accountants that make it up as they go along, and dont get me started on the prat who lives at no 10 ( BTW I know he lives in the flat above number 11 so dont get pendantic on me)

I agree that any kind of mishap is a mishap too many but come on is any really so niave to believe that having on of them thar cards means you are as omnisient as god????? CORGI reg and ACS is not perfect but its all we have, if you dont like it, like nearly 100% of us decent CORGI reg people, then find out who your local MP is and write to them telling that this stupid monopoly is an outrage and MUST be stopped!

Also send a letter to:

RT HON Ruth Kelly Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Who is responsible for GSIU regs
Yvette Cooper MP Minister of State (Housing and Planning): She oversees the building regs.

RT HON Alistair Darling MP Secretary of State for the Department of Trade and Industry,
The Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MBE MP Minister of State (Industry and the Regions): In charge of ALL small businesses

Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP Secretary of State for Education and Skills ( and let him know that the current training standards for a GAS engineer is woofully inadequate)
Phil Hope MP Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Skills): Who is in charge of the joke we all know and love as NVQ
Jim Knight MP Minister of State (Schools and 14-19 Learners) The aboves boss.
Rt Hon Ian McCartney MP Minister of State Trade and industry#

I cannot be assed to find any more but as far as I can tell they are to blame for the "dumbing down" of our trade,
they who have not acted against the "rogue trainers" and "be a plumber in ten minutes" brigade,
it is the above that have not acted to fight the self endulgent monoploy of CORGI.
it is the above that forced through without sufficent discussion, debate or testing the balls up that we knows as the new building regs ( and believe me none of the above can clearly explain as to what they mean, how they affect the "reactive" section of our trade and why at least FIVE bodies can oversee the saftey of electricians but only ONE can do the same for gas)

LET THEM KNOW call them, email them bother them. Gawd knows I have :)

Phewwww that feels better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back