Let shower tray into wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the benefits of letting a cast stone shower tray into the wall on a stud wall?

Sponsored Links
A free shower downstairs?!
Unless you need the space it's not a grerat idea. You'd need noggins to stop the wall board flexing. Movement is the enemy - so is plasterboard, use something waterproof!

Thanks Chris, just out of interest would you let them into solid walls?

And is this done to minimise leaking?

Just one more thing, if shower tray/enclosure is going against a newly plastered wall (NOT dot & dab), does it need aquapanel behing the tiles?

Or is aqualpanel only for studwalls?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris, just out of interest would you let them into solid walls?
And is this done to minimise leaking?
Not unless I was short of space; the tiles should overlap the tray & that's enough. The way to prevent leaks is to do the job properly using the correct materials. ;)

if shower tray/enclosure is going against a newly plastered wall (NOT dot & dab), does it need aquapanel behing the tiles?
No.
Or is aqualpanel only for studwalls?
Primarily but you can use it on solid walls to provide a flat tile base if the wall is in a real mess & you don’t want to (cant) sort it out with plaster.

Ah? So you don't need any aquapanel or tanking when the walls are solid. Makes sense, I'm only using a Mira Sport anyway.

:LOL:

Ah? So you don't need any aquapanel or tanking when the walls are solid. Makes sense, I'm only using a Mira Sport anyway.
:LOL:
I would say not. Aquapanel is cement based, much the same a solid plastered wall, water resistant but not impervious; there are some, even more fastidious than me, that would say always tank but, IMO, you won’t need it in a domestic environment unless it's a wet room. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back