Let's debate religion...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK then, let's try not to get inflammatory on this but I am really interested in what people think of other peoples religions and seeing as it is Easter whether or not you believe in Jesus and God or whether you just celebrate beause it means you get chocolate....

I am not trying to cause a riot btw but it is something that interests me.

Sponsored Links
I fall into the not really sure category. More not religious than am... (hypoctitical??)
If that is too much like sitting on the fence then it would have to be no I guess.
I got married in church and went to sunday school (Cof E) as a child.
Unfortunately, the more I see of religion, the more I go off it.

It is all about making a person police themselves by waving guilt and going to hell as a big stick. (isnt it?)

I teach my kids to be good people and not hurt others (but to hit if hit) and I dont need a god to make me be a good person.

A woman came into the shop today, paid by card, when i handed her card and reciept back, she said "have a happy Easter . . . did you notice my name's Christmas?" yeah, like i look at names on cards . . . i just wished her a happy easter back, and tried to look bothered . . . wonder if shes religious! I should have asked her hows Rudolph! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I was made to go to church and Sunday School and even now my Mother is quite religious. If you'd have heard the wails when I announced that I didn't want to get married in church and that I wanted a black wedding dress.... Needless to say, she won :rolleyes:

I no longer believe in it all and consider religion to be the root cause of many of the problems in the world.

I am a Pagan (Wiccan) and happy with it :D My hubby is a complete aetheist and believes in nothing. It causes raised eyebrows when we fill in forms for the kids for school LOL.

I think we are the only family in the street that the Jehovahs witnesses have given up on...

crafty1289 said:
A woman came into the shop today, paid by card, when i handed her card and reciept back, she said "have a happy Easter . . . did you notice my name's Christmas?" yeah, like i look at names on cards . . . i just wished her a happy easter back, and tried to look bothered . . . wonder if shes religious! I should have asked her hows Rudolph! :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Why wasn't she in the North Pole looking after Santa? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ahhh - but no one has been able to answer my Easter query on another thread though have they?.......perhaps religion is not important enough to people anymore.
Must admit I wasn't asking my question because I'm religious - it's just because I had genuinely forgotten what it all meant

Brightness said:
If you were religious you wouldn't have had to ask about it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But I've already said I'm a philistine and I haven't been to Church since I was a child - school was also a long time ago!

Religion is actually a deeply personal thing, its all about your beliefs and has nothing to do with buildings, rituals and dressing up in dresses :confused:
Most of the worlds problems do stem from religion related issues, but they are more due to power crazed persons rather than the actuall religious doctrines themselves. take away the land, buildings and frippery from most 'churches' and you end up with what amounts to a pretty good set of rules to live life by, most people live a 'christian lifestyle' yet never attend a church.

JulieL/B said:
Brightness said:
If you were religious you wouldn't have had to ask about it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But I've already said I'm a philistine and I haven't been to Church since I was a child - school was also a long time ago!

Julie I wasn't getting at you :eek:

I was joking as you'd already said
JulieL/B said:
Must admit I wasn't asking my question because I'm religious - it's just because I had genuinely forgotten what it all meant

That's what I meant - if you were religious then you would know the story.... are you with me now?

I've posted a link on your Easter thread for you btw. :D

Just a thought here, not meant to offend.........

Why is it that so many Priests and Vicars etc drink and smoke..........aren't these things pleasurable therefore sinful??? I've never seen a Nun drink or smoke........mind you I have referred patients to Nuns to learn about the 'rythm method' of contraception.........I've often wondered about this too..........! ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

JulieL/B said:
Just a thought here, not meant to offend.........

Why is it that so many Priests and Vicars etc drink and smoke..........aren't these things pleasurable therefore sinful??? I've never seen a Nun drink or smoke........mind you I have referred patients to Nuns to learn about the 'rythm method' of contraception.........I've often wondered about this too..........! ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well they are obviously well practised in the art of it. Why do you think that so many nuns ran orphanges? Also, in the reformation when the Catholics were deposed, the protestants killed loads of monks who had venereal diseases (as they were called then) and loads of nuns who were pregnant! They were obviously in the early stages of perfecting the rhythm method :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was brought up church of england, was in the choir, did sunday school, etc., then when I was 16yr it was the swinging sixties and everything to do with any form of authority was put on the back burner, now I think religion is responsible for too many of the worlds problems, atrocities, war and bigotry,etc, I now live in a very small community of 70 and the church goers amongst us are the most unkind unpleasant people but I do worry that after all these hundreds of years how come our generation can come along and poo poo the whole religion thing, I envy people that have faith and wouldn't deny it them but I just can't get my head around it so I try to make up for it by doing my best to behave well to other people, sorry I'm on the pop so arent expressing myself well but I mean I try to behave to them as i would like them to behave to me etc
have I answered the question? no I don't believe in god but wish i did. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back