Religious prominence

I

imamartian

i strongly believe that religion has too high a prominence in the world order today..
(i'm really after the record for the thread locked the soonest :) )

My problem is... how to characterise us... well at the highest known level , we are all human beings, homo sapiens..
And if we try to qualify this, we are very different, not only in colour, but in general physiology.... eyes, size, facial aspects...etc etc....
oh and then there is religion... not exactly relevant here (in my book).. as anyone, black, white, big, small, can be a christian or a muslim, or catholic, or jehovas..

but to me, that doesn't define us... so why do we talk about muslims and terror, or why do we have "faith schools"... or more importantly, why are so many wars about religion?

i'm an atheist, so i think i'm free from the shackles that restricts so much of the well being of this planet.. people panic in the face of the unknown... and what bigger unknown than... who created us? and this ends up as..."let's all have a different god".....

We all need to accept that what ever culture we come from, we are all undoubtedly from the same petri dish of some higher power....
it doesn't matter if it has three eyes, or was born on the back of a goat.... it is ultimately looking down and thinking..."whoops!"

Religion needs to be a description of a person in the same way that you would describe a person as being "a Man U fan", or, "into country music", or "drives a volvo".... the definition being that a person can change their religion.... or denounce it altogether....

Sponsored Links
We have religious wars because 'they' want to rule the world.
We have faith schools because 'they' want them.
We bend over backwards to allow 'their' tyranny.

" i'm really after the record for the thread locked the soonest "
I sincerely hope that that does not happen but, with the devious, bigoted, and bloodthirsty hold which "religion" has on mankind, who knows if even this forum, hitherto an oasis of freedom of thought and expression, will not get "leaned on".
Famine, war, and pestilence have inflicted the cruelest of burdens upon mankind but, they pale into insignificance beside the butchery and barbarism of organized "religion". Until the menace of religion, with it's creed of "My God is better than your God" is removed from all societies, we will never attain that true humanity which would take mankind forward to a better world. Popes, prelates and parsons, together with the insidious "faith schools", still try to condemn mankind to that unthinking obedience to outdated and barbaric creeds which, if not halted soon, will condemn us all to continuing our lives in ignorance and oppression.

most recent wars are fought over territory/power. religion sometimes defines the boundaries.

muslims are killing muslims (Sunni v's Shiite) in Iraq because of territory/power, they all believe in the same god.

the word edited out says shi-ite. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
none of us in the west have blind faith. thats because we have had years of education.
science will not allow blind faith, it is a choice for us.

nearly anywhere you go in the world you can buy a bottle of coca cola. if you can buy it that means there is a medium to advertise it.
people have the opportunity for mass communication, if thats so, how many people in poorer countries have the education to sift through what they are fed.

our wars are for power or pride. we want the world to be our way!
(how can i group the people im talking about with out getting the thread locked) them lot' wave their hands in the air and say we insult their gods but im sure the average man in the west does not care! hes to busy watching sky sports or pamela anderson!

all this will continue till, them lot' wise up... and we keep our nose out of their business..

That boils down to the old nutshell of freedom of speech and offending others as was shown to great effect in the "OZ" trial of the 60's.

Do we have a society where you can't offend anyone or do we have a free for all?

i strongly believe that religion has too high a prominence in the world order today..
(i'm really after the record for the thread locked the soonest :) )

My problem is... how to characterise us... well at the highest known level , we are all human beings, homo sapiens..
And if we try to qualify this, we are very different, not only in colour, but in general physiology.... eyes, size, facial aspects...etc etc....
oh and then there is religion... not exactly relevant here (in my book).. as anyone, black, white, big, small, can be a christian or a muslim, or catholic, or jehovas..

but to me, that doesn't define us... so why do we talk about muslims and terror, or why do we have "faith schools"... or more importantly, why are so many wars about religion?

i'm an atheist, so i think i'm free from the shackles that restricts so much of the well being of this planet.. people panic in the face of the unknown... and what bigger unknown than... who created us? and this ends up as..."let's all have a different god".....

We all need to accept that what ever culture we come from, we are all undoubtedly from the same petri dish of some higher power....
it doesn't matter if it has three eyes, or was born on the back of a goat.... it is ultimately looking down and thinking..."whoops!"

Religion needs to be a description of a person in the same way that you would describe a person as being "a Man U fan", or, "into country music", or "drives a volvo".... the definition being that a person can change their religion.... or denounce it altogether....
isn't atheism a religion?

the two greatest wars in the history of the world were fought between nations that were nominally Christian.

I guess those violent, bloodthirsty Christians led the way.

Sponsored Links
Back