Let's debate religion...

Richard you might be on the pop (hope it's nice pop? ;) :LOL: ) but I can understand you. I agree with what you say about churchgoers. I find the same too.

I was once bullied in the workplace by a 'committed christian' (his title for himself btw, not mine). When he found that I was a Wiccan he tried to belittle me in front of other staff and patients too. It was only when he did it in front of this one lady and I bit back with the comment that if he didn't shut up I would turn him into a toad that this lady asked me if I was a 'witch'. I said that I was a Wiccan and she said that so was she and then turned to this guy and gave him a mouthful about what Christianity was supposed to be about :LOL: He was very quiet after that :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I had a catholic upbringing ( in the 60's ), every sunday i was ordered to go. although my mum never went herself she always used to ask me "who was the priest today " "what did he preach in his sermon" etc..
little did she know it was a quick look in the church a change of clothing and down the rec with the football :LOL: :LOL: oh dear i feel guilty now.. bless me father for i have sinned ........

poshman said:
I had a catholic upbringing ( in the 60's ), every sunday i was ordered to go. although my mum never went herself she always used to ask me "who was the priest today " "what did he preach in his sermon" etc..
little did she know it was a quick look in the church a change of clothing and down the rec with the football :LOL: :LOL: oh dear i feel guilty now.. bless me father for i have sinned ........

Ditto posh lol. Never forget as a 7/8yr old having to stand on chair on monday morning at school and having to recite the sermon and, the sting from the bitch catholic teachers cane on me legs when she knew i hadnt a fkn clue :evil:

oops shud have said biatch

Sponsored Links
Brightness said:
Poshman you will now take 3000 Hail Mary's for that - get down on those knees boy ;) :evil:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Brighty pheww thought you were going to throw in some of the lord prayer too

Talking of confessions. I wonder what these priest's listen to nowadays from this generation. :LOL:

Brightness said:
JulieL/B said:
Just a thought here, not meant to offend.........

Why is it that so many Priests and Vicars etc :LOL:

Also, in the reformation when the Catholics were deposed, the protestants killed loads of monks who had venereal diseases
That would explain that famous Monk Translator.....The Venerial Bede :idea:

Nige F said:
Brightness said:
JulieL/B said:
Just a thought here, not meant to offend.........

Why is it that so many Priests and Vicars etc :LOL:

Also, in the reformation when the Catholics were deposed, the protestants killed loads of monks who had venereal diseases
That would explain that famous Monk Translator.....The Venerial Bede :idea:

Very good, mate. That deserves a 'clap'.

On a slightly different note: Do you remember Labi Siffri? We used to call him Labia Syphilis.

joe

I now live in a very small community of 70 and the church goers amongst us are the most unkind unpleasant people

Ditto...the ones here are the same..all doled up in theri sunday best..being seen to do the right thing...

I have found the extreme religious brigade the worst...and certainly the meanest

My dad went to a catholic school where they used to beat their ideals into the kids..after that he always said he would leave it to me.

Im not putting the ethos of religion down...if its what it takes to get someone through the day that fine by me..but as for the hipocrisy.nah!

I cant understand the power struggle..ask a born again what they think of Jehovahs and they will tell you they have no time for them...ask a vicar what they think of the born agains...they dont like them!!...they are all sposed to be on the same side arnt they????

Without religion this world would be a far more peaceful, safe and happy place.

My god comes from insdie...my own set of rules that I live by...maybe not perfect but I think im a better person tan some of the church brigade with their double standards..

To me born agains are emotional cripples..clinging on to a belief instead of facing their demons.

One strange co-incedence though...Jesus being born on christmas day..conspiracy or what?

I like to think of myself as somewhat of an Agnostic, believe there is probably some force controlling things, but not convinced that it is anything like any of what the religions would have us believe. Also don't believe that knowing/understanding/worshipping it is in any way neccessary to our individual lives

Also believe as someone else said that organised relgion came about as a way of forceing morals upon an early society...

agree with you adam and zampa, I'm ex (very EX) Catholic from the second I left school and where religion is concerned I'm neutral. This religion thing would be ok if you took away the christians and the muslims!

Though I'm sure something is against me, yestersay I was out at a theme park to celebrate a mate's birthday, sods law, that a bargain on an item that I was looking for came up on ebay while I was out :evil: (I was browsing finished items to get an idea of what prices they tend to go for)

Just a thought......... We hear a lot about practising catholics/christians etc. Isn't it about time they stopped practising and got on with it?
Especially giving up all their wordly goods and letting god provide for them!

Brightness said:
seeing as it is Easter whether or not you believe in Jesus and God or whether you just celebrate beause it means you get chocolate....
The celebration of Easter as a time of re-birth, and the name itself, is pre-Christian - comes from Norse/Germanic pagan goddess Eostre.

I would have thought you'd have known that.... ;)

The origin of the egg symbolism is unknown, but likely to have been an associated re-birth thing.

ban-all-sheds said:
Brightness said:
seeing as it is Easter whether or not you believe in Jesus and God or whether you just celebrate beause it means you get chocolate....
The celebration of Easter as a time of re-birth, and the name itself, is pre-Christian - comes from Norse/Germanic pagan goddess Eostre.

I would have thought you'd have known that.... ;)

The origin of the egg symbolism is unknown, but likely to have been an associated re-birth thing.

Yes, i do know it BAS but the Christians hijacked it many. many years ago and so most of us prefer to celebrate Beltane instead - Easter no longer really figures in our calendar. :rolleyes: :p :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back