level 2 city and guilds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work as a gas engineer and we do various bits of electrical work related to boilers and pumps and controls
is there anywhere explicitly written work I can or cant undertake

Sponsored Links
No, but Part P of The Building Regulations states:

upload_2019-10-31_18-49-32.png

You cannot do that without the necessary knowledge or testing equipment.

However, some work (very little in England, more in Wales, we never count Scotland) is notifiable to the Building Control before it is begun and they might not deem you competent.

sorry ive explained this really badly I have no desire to work on power or lighting I am caught in a situation were the company I work for are concerned that we shouldn,t harm ourselves which I am all for however this extends to banning multimeters we have martindale testers and proving units and ohm meters but really we need multimeters eg for frequency testing if we have issues with the supply voltage and quantifing the voltage used by fans gas valves etc the question is are we deemed competent

There are 'decent' multimeters. I have several - as well as the usual multi-function tester.

You might be deemed competent if you are competent.
If you meant by the Building Control, then the work you mentioned will not be anything to do with them, so it is up to your employer.

I presume you meant 'frequency of testing'; not 'frequency testing'.

Sponsored Links
I worked for Laing at Sizewell 'B' as an Electrician, then went again to work for Laing at second seven crossing to repair items like the 200 ton straddle carrier, to give me more wages I was employed as a foreman fitter, although my main job was electrical but it was a mixture, then a new electrical superintendent arrived, who realised there was a problem with insurance, and from that point whenever I went to do electrical work I had to have another electrician with me, not really a problem as most jobs needed two anyway, but even as an electrician when my job description did not call me an electrician I could not work on 230/400 volt equipment without some one officially employed as an electrician.

It was at some times funny, as I worked on quite technical equipment, and the guy I was with would say "Don't know how we will repair this." and I would reply don't worry I do, your here because of insurance you don't need to know anything.

I know I needed to measure frequency and voltage as most of what I worked on had its own generators, however it is rare to have voltage or frequency problems. However a simple plug in meter
51j57xY5ByL._AC_UL160_.jpg
will show both volts and frequency and should be enough to check the house supply is OK without use of a meter using wandering leads. A tester like this
s-l64.jpg
will also likely help in your trade to see if solenoids are working, but anything more you would likely need to show it was required, with Y Plan 3 port valves being able to measure voltage may help, but only if you know the readings to expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back