leveling ply before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to over ply a bathroom floor ready for tiling. The floor boards are quite uneven and I want to level every thing with the ply. A leveling compound won't do what I need just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for and easy way to do this. I thought of maybe leveling the ply on spots of concrete and screwing down to the joists? does this sound like a plan?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would drive in and nails or screws in a couple mm then run a planer over the high spots,board over with 12mm ply and you should be ok.
You can correct slight variations with the adhesive but only by a few mm ;)

Can you actually use a leveling compound on top of the WBP to level it?

Does something need to be done to the ply before the leveling compound is put on - like a PVA coat or something? Is there a particular type of leveling compound for use on wood/WBP?

you could pull up the old floorboards and fix your ply to the joists.

Then you can use 18mm ply which is strong and rigid, or even 25mm if you feel like it.

Sponsored Links
you could pull up the old floorboards and fix your ply to the joists.

Then you can use 18mm ply which is strong and rigid, or even 25mm if you feel like it.

if your fixing direct to the joists i would use 25mm as a minimum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back