Self levelling compound over plywood base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a bathroom in a part of the house that has never had a bathroom before. As part of this I have pulled up the original floorboards and replaced with WBP ply. I have reinforced with noggins and affixed the ply to the joists with 70mm screws and it is solid.

Due to the position of joists, I had to leave around 6"-12" of the original floorboards as you come into the room. These original floorboards are 3-4 mm thicker than the ply, so there is a lip.

Can I use self-levelling compound on top of the ply to bring it up to the same level as the old floor?

(I did wonder about glueing/screwing 3mm ply over the top but I'm worried that if the glue failed the topsheet might lift and the tiles would crack)

Sponsored Links
There's no reason why the 3mm ply should fail if it's been done properly (screwed every 150mm) but if you're tiling the floor afterwards, there's more danger of the old floorboard sections failing. You'll need a flexible SLC, but I think that I'd go for the play, and then put 6mm ply over the whole floor afterwards.

The alternative, is to lift the WBP, and apply 4mm strips to the top of the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back