leveling sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have 43sqm of flooring to have concreted.
I have put down roughly 150mm of hardcore compacted then put 2 ton of sand over it, before putting on top dpm then 150mm insulation, dpm then the concrete
Today I tried leveling the sand by fixing a level onto a piece of 2x4 but found that its not so easy to do..
Can anyone advise what is the best way to get it level?
Thanks
legepe

Sponsored Links
don't you just need to get it fairly level by freehanding a big spirit level over it a few times to check it's not too far out? that's all I did
it's the concrete that you'd be more concerned about getting level surely

Sponsored Links
There are 43 M2 of area, what are the length and width dimensions?
There are two areas of different levels by 200mm... main area is 3.8mx6.7m other area are the kitchen 2.5mx 3.5m and bathroom 2.3m x 3.7m

Last edited:
don't you just need to get it fairly level by freehanding a big spirit level over it a few times to check it's not too far out? that's all I did
it's the concrete that you'd be more concerned about getting level surely
I guess your right about just getting it fairly level... but also, its just that the concrete is the self leveling stuff, and I am reassured by the guys going to lay it that I will get a final finish so I also have to be bang on with the level as well, it needs to be finished just right as I am going through regs

You should be able to use the back edge of a rake to roughly spread it then a 1200mm batten to level it before whacking. Use circular/arc motions with your arm holding the batten centrally and don't press on.

I think your sand only needs to be flat enough so that the insulation boards lay on it comfortably. Do you have a cheapo laser level?

Move it around with a spade or trowel and then tamp with a piece of timber. Kneel on another board, tamp a foot or so, then move back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back