Levelling an INSTALLED shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My plumbers have installed my shower tray and it's not level. It's a plastic tray, without adjustable legs, but it has large round support circular bits as part of the moulding underneath. It's not fixed in place, but the waste has been permanently plumbed in and after having tried for quite a while, he cannot remove it.

So...I need some magical way to level it, without removing it. It's a 1400x900 curved tray (it's going to be a walk-in setup with one curved piece of glass and one flat piece as an end panel). I've made a kind of wedge out of some pieces of hardboard laminated together and sanded - it kind of works but there's still some slight bounciness in the middle. I was thinking of squirting some expanding PU foam in there, but I'm worried it'd expand too much and make a hump in the shower tray.

I can lift it up about 20mm to poke stuff underneath it without disturbing the waste pipe.

Any thoughts, help, suggestions or comments, anyone?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking a shower tray should not have a level problem when fitted to a level floor. So is the floor itself level?

Just how far out of level is the tray anyway? and does the water in the tray all flow out of the waste outlet as fitted? What is the floor, solid, suspended timber or something else?

If it is miles out or with water pooling the plumber should have known better to have fitted it to what I suspect is a badly out of level floor without saying something.

Wedge it up with the nose of one of your plumbers, and then use the other plumber to knock it into position.

These tend to need a solid base, not foam

It's the floor that's out of level - it's a very old house without a right angle in sight. It's an upstairs timber floor. It's probably not out of level enough for water to pool, but it needs to be sufficiently level so the glass panels fit on the tray and mate to the (surprisingly vertical) walls. It's about 10mm out over the 1400mm width.

So I've made a kind of big, thin wedge out of some hardboard laminated together and sanded, and daubed it with a generous coat of PVA to waterproof it in case of leaks. I'm proposing to shove that underneath the tray and then squirt some expanding foam in to take up any small gaps - I'd prefer to wedge the plumbers in there, but I fear they might begin to smell after a few months.

Sponsored Links
If they were proper plumbers they would smell every day - of sweat and Boss White + occasionally, tallow :mrgreen:

Bah - my wonderful hardboard wedge thing still doesn't give enough support near the far end of the tray.

I knew there was a reason I normally do all building and plumbing myself - if you want something done properly, do it yourself...if you want it totally f**ked up, use an "expert". The "plumbers" will just have to remove the thing and if they break it, they pay for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back