Shower Tray Not Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help with this problem.
I've had a Mira Flight Safe shower tray fitted and it has not been laid level. That is, at the waste end it is 1/2 to 3/4 inch too low.
As a result of this my joiner refused, kindly, to fit the enclosure.
My question really is, is it possible to take out the tray without damaging it in order to have it re-done?
The tray is acrylic capped resin and it's laid on a bed of concrete.
I appreciate any replies.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It is possible but no one can guarantee it for you especially over the internet.
Who fitted it? Get them back to sort their fook up out and if they damage it they can get a new one.

It is not unusual for a tray to move a bit when installing but 3/4" is unacceptable. You should get the fitter to come back and replace it free of charge. Any decent fitter would just swallow the cost and put it down to experience but I suspect that they are not decent. I find it hard to see how it could be that much out on a bed of cement (It is most likely to be on a bed of cement than a bed of concrete).

If it was fitted by yourself or a friend etc, then you too will just have to put it down to experience and expect to buy a new one. The tray has to come out so you have no choice but to go for it I'm afraid. I'm guessing that it has already been tiled around so the bottom row of tiles will have to be changed too.

It is possible to take one out by removing the bottom row of tiles, then trying to lever it up with a strong flat bar but it depends on how well the cement has bonded to floor surface whether it will break or not. I have actually ripped out old shower bases without damage when I wasn't really trying.

I can understand that the joiner (why not a bathroom fitter) will not fit the enclosure as it will always be wrong and he would be blamed for it.

Good luck.

thank you for your replies. The fitter is coming back to try to level the tray tomorrow.
Now I imagine a wide band of cement around the lowest edge?

Sponsored Links
Ali, is the tray onto a cement floor or timber? If its timber, it should come up ok, if its onto concrete there could be a bit of a battle.
Either way, if it isnt level, it will be a bloomin' nightmare if you intend to fit an enclosure rather than a shower curtain.
Be lucky!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back