levelling old out house floors for seating area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was hoping for some advice. A friend is pregnant and their small back garden needs an overhaul so I have volunteered to do it for them.

They have had two out houses knocked down and they want a seating area about 5 metre square where they were. The two out houses floors are next to each other in an L shape but are at different levels (one is a couple of inches higher). They are solid flat concrete. The seating area will be rectangle with the rest of the base currently being soil.

They were hoping to have a gravel seating area so I was thinking I could put some MOT/crusher down and compact it to get it all level (prob needs a depth of about 75mm) and then lay some pea gravel on this and compact it again. Is this OK?

Or would it be best mixing the pea gravel in with some mortar so the surface is firmer? And would I need to break up the existing concrete?

Cheers

john

Sponsored Links
you cant really lay gravel on concrete as its pretty perilous unless its deep enough that you are wading through it. Likewise putting mot down on concrete will give you problems as the water will not get away through the concrete and depending on the falls and drainage of the area it could end up a bit of a mess.

The pukka job would be to get rid of the concrete all together and then just do whatever you wish. MOT followed by gravel being the easiest option.

Mixing pea gravel with mortar would not work as it will effectively be concrete and will not have the effect of bound gravel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back