Levelling uneven footing with levelling compound?

pwm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Just what it says in the title really. Structurally, is there anything wrong with using an external levelling compound, to sort out an uneven footing? The bag I have says it can be used up to 50mm, which is just about enough for what I need.

In my project the block work will be visible internally from the second course, so I’m trying to get it spot on to start with. I’ve seen suggestions of using slate tiles to fill any lows, but I have some rebar coming out of foundations that might get in the way.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No builder but....

are footings normally truly level? Obviously liquid will find it's own level but from memory some footings look uneven when poured.
isn't the trick to spend time with a normal mix to get the first course level then proceed from there?

Apart from being totally bonkers, and SL not being structural, no.

• Thanks
Reactions: pwm
You just set out the first course level - adjusting the mortar bed between foundation and block.

50mm is a long way out for a footing.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder. At 50mm I would think it would be a good idea to lay the first course on a sharp sand mortar as it will be a bit of a nightmare to level up on normal mortar that thick.

• Thanks
You could start with a block at the lowest point then cut down the blocks with a stihle

• Thanks
Thanks all, seems unanimous that the idea was a non starter. I had a bag anyway, label says compressive strength more than 30 n/mm2, for exterior use, and it wasn’t going to go anywhere as surrounding all sides by either dirt or concrete. Bag says it’s suitable as a swimming pool floor, so I was thinking that’s a lot of pressure so it might handle half a dozen courses of concrete block.

Anyway I’m going to give the Stihl a go. Needed to hire one anyway for another job.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back