LG mobile prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a LG Memoir kc9610. It's been unlocked and I now have it on Virgin.
I'm getting about 50 or 60 messages a day like this -

View
Network Msg
-----------------------------------------
Sorry the sending of text messages to this number is not possible

I've nothing in the inbox, nothing in the sent items, nothing waiting and I can't stop it.
Everyone i've talked to, hasn't a clue what it's about.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I used to have this problem about 7 years ago, on T-mobile, who Virgin piggy back on. The messages used to be from pers and were full of random characters

I rang them repeatedly and was lucky enough to eventually get thru to someone who knew how to do their job - they stopped it dead.

Nothing to do with your phone.

I can't remember how they sorted but it might be worthwhile posting to the t-mobile forum- hopefully someone there can help.

Other joyous feck ups include your voice mail box being swapped with someone else's and two copies of every text message being sent/charged, ultimately then seem to resolve to network database problems.

Good luck, most of the support staff are crap.

Thanks opps, you're correct about it being a T-mobile and it's now on Virgin.

I contacted Virgin and they asked me was the sim o.k in another phone, to which I said yes, so he said it must be the phone then.

I'll have a look for the T-mobile forum and see what happens.

Given that your phone used to be a tmob phone it would be interesting to see what would happen if you put a friends t-mob sim card in.

The network messages that i used to receive are referred to as OTAPS - Over The Air Programme Settings messages. These are sent by the network to make updates to the handset. Ordinarily the phone justs accepts them and deletes them with out you seeing them. In the event of an unsupported handset, the handset doesn't know what to do with it and sees it as a standard text for you to deal with.

If this is not what is happening in your case (admittedly the text in my otaps was different) then it might be worthwhile looking at the APN settings on your phone.

I am guessing that it is still using the t-mobile APN (Access Point Name) to access the web/MMS

the virgin APN settings, i believe, are as follows

Name: Virgin
APN: gotovirginmobile.uk
Proxy: 193.30.166.003
Port: 8080
Username: user
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.002
MMS port:8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
APN type: default

Sponsored Links
Jeeeeeeeeez opps ! I'm a decorator, I can't follow that. Don't know what it means.

I don't know whether you want me to search on the internet or do some settings in the phone.

I've gone into settings/ connectivity then network settings then preferred lists and at the top it says
Add network
Orange-2g
Bouygtel-2g
Meteor-2g
Tim - 2g
Cosmote - 2g
T-mobile D -2g
Tmn - 2g

No mention of Virgin, so is it where it says Add network at the top, that I should be doing something?

There's also 3 choices in Nework settings....

1. Select nework

2. Network mode

3.preferred lists.

Hi growler

The APN is the gateway that the phone uses to access the internet, also used for sending multi-media messages (picture messages) and such.

I will have a butchers online tomorrow and see if I can find the instructions to change them from the previous t-mobile ones to the virgin ones.

From the list of available networks, many seem to be foreign, I can only imagine that your phone remembers them from previous jaunts abroad.

opps.
I got a friend to try his t-mobile card in it and it worked o.k. Then he tried to put another sim in ( 02 i think) and it wouldn't work so he said that the phone had not been unlocked and that's what it looks like to me as well so, please don't waste any time on me trying to figure it out.

I'll try and get somewhere this week and see if I can get it unlocked properly.

Right.
The guy in the shop messed about with the phone for about a half hour and said it's the sim that's faulty and not the phone and that he'd never seen so many messages come through. I told him it was alright in my last phone but, I don't think he was listening.

Contacted Virgin and they'll send me a new sim out and it'll take about 5 days.

If you're still around opps.

Got a new sim and it didn't stop the problem. I've been bombarded with these messages every day.
Took the phone into a local good mobile/repair shop and they'd never seen it before and I asked them to unlock it...they said it still wouldn't work and they were right. That was way before Christmas and eventually they gave up and were fed up with it and nobody else could help.
Been in touch with Virgin, several times and got differing opinions, one being that it could be a kind of prototype that would do this on T-mobile.

It only does it on Virgin.

So..... had my sim in a Nokia phone of mine for a couple of days and received and sent texts normally, whilst I had the LG on charge (no sim in).

Put the sim back in a couple of days ago......... and all these messages have STOPPED. Phone perfect.

Don't know why but there it is.

Sponsored Links
Back