LG tumbler blowing RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our LG tumble dryer has given great service for three and a half years. This afternoon we needed to go out and the tumbler was busy, so I turned it off at the stop switch on the front and we went out. On return I pressed the power button, reset the programme and switched it on. About five minutes after it started rotating, the main RCD on the consumer unit tripped. I reset both RCD and machine twice and on each occasion it ran for a few minutes then tripped the RCD again. Having turned various other things on and off and narrowed down the problem to the tumbler and wiring, I disconnected the appliance cable from the fixed wiring point in the wall behind the appliance and connected it to a 13 amp plug to eliminate a fault in the fixed wiring. I plugged it in, turned on the machine and the RCD blew again, so the fault has to be with the machine itself.
Anyone any ideas? First time we've had any problems with this machine.

Sponsored Links
do you have a "cooldown" section on the heating cycle to try to seperate the elements from the motor/control side
do you have a high/low setting to further pinpoint the problem by trying both settings

Its got a 20 minute cool air cycle, but no specific high/low setting: just different time settings for drier clothes. I've had a scout round the internet--as you do--and there's a suggestion that there may be condensation inside the machine affecting the heating elements due to a build up of fluff. I'm wondering whether if I take another piece of advice and make sure theres no significant water in the bottom where the condenser is, that might make a difference. Someone suggested using a hairdryer to dry the internal gubbins of the machine, but I'm not sure about that.

I'm running it on the cooling cycle and it seems OK. I guess therefore its a problem with the element?

Sponsored Links
Ran it on cooling and it was OK, as above. Isolated the machine from the electricity supply and took the back off, exposing the heater. The elements were soaking wet. Took a hairdryer, put it on the hottest setting and directed it into the element box for about ten minutes. Checked again with the finger, elements bone dry. Turned the appliance on, hey presto, it worked without tripping the RCD.
I dont know how the element got so wet, anyone any idea? Just condensation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back