LG washing machine tripping house power after five minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently a common problem and after a full hours of investigation I’m hoping this will save someone some hassle.

Just had this. The machine would turn on, run for approaching five minutes then trip off. When power restored the machine showed a PF fault code, power failure. The heater element was to blame and the Telephone agent on the warranty company line(sadly warranty expired the year before) said 9/10 it is the heater element. She explained the machine starts ok and after about three to five minutes and the water has dispensed into the drum the heater will start to heat the water. Because there is a fault with it, the power gets tripped. On a side note I feel it is related to me recently starting to use calgon tablets. There must have been a shed load of cack built up on the heater and system which had totally clogged all the drain pipework when I took it all apart. With the cack broken down off the element by the calgon, the latent fault manifested itself and the fault started. Perhaps the element had a crack in it which was waterproofed/sealed by the cack. the fix followed YouTube guides. Lid off, control panel away, lower panel off, screws inside the door off, door frame off, power unit at base out and it reveals the heater at the bottom of the drum.
Disconnect the wires, unscrew the 10mm nuts and tap the threaded section into the drum unit then encourage the rubber seal to come free and withdraw the heater.
Clean out any cack in the base of the drum, insert the new element, connect everything back up. Load the machine, light your pipe then sit back and admire your handiwork!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back