LG WashingMachine DirectDrive

jam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Thinking of purchasing a LG washing machine with a Direct Drive just wanted to know are these w.m any good are they reliable, these Direct Drive systems,any info would be helpful.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One of the guys at work has one of these and he's found it to be great, they also have a 2yr warranty.

Being LG though, i'd guess that spares are expensive, suppose breezer would know better though!

i mend these under the 2years and i would say save your money..
they are crap and they always leak.. door seals are around £40 when most other machines are only £15
dont buy lg
miele or siemans german machines... all the others will only last you 4-6 years..

Thanks for the info simon26r its just that lg do a 7.5 drum for a reasonable price as most other w.m dont do them,could you recommend any for that drum load. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all, first post :D

I picked up an LG 14225 last week from comet, I paid £379.99 which is a bargain IMO as these machines are usually £550.

First impressions are good, massive drum, very very very quiet, very easy to use, plus the washing comes out noticably cleaner and much much drier than the indesit 1200 spin it replaced.
Uses less electricity too with A+ rating, also intakes from hot water supply.

I did ask the sales person about any potential problems with them, he answered that in his opinion since they started selling them their reliability is second to none (so far).
He did tell me about the problems with the door seal leaking, but that this was on early models and LG has put this right with a new design of seal.

2 year labour + 5 year parts guarantee is pretty good too.
Additional 3 yr labour cover = £149 for a full 5 year parts and labour garantee.

Early days, but so far I can fully recommend these machines :D

P.S.
No brushes or belts so motor should last a lifetime!
Matching dishwasher for sale at currys with £100 off, so I got one :D

Did a lot of work on LG appliances. Failed bearings due to the increased drum/load size, failed motors, failed circuit boards. Had a few with the concrete weights shearing off too. Was never short of work with LG.
As to the dishwashers, spent a year going round replacing the circuit boards and door handle/switches due to a recall on them.
I wouldn't touch Lucky Goldstar stuff with a bargepole, but then that's purely my opinion. I'd much rather have a Bosch washing machine (German made only, won't have the Spanish or Polish ones) and a Whirlpool dishwasher. Hmmm, I already do have them :p

Unplug your appliance before working on it.

Hmmm food for thought then, still far fewer posts on any forum about LG problems compared with most, infact I'd say Bosch seem to attract the most postings of all makes, funny thing that :confused:

Also surprising as these direct drive machines were only launched in 2002 + LG give a 5 year parts guarantee, which usually means the manufacturer has placed a good amount of confidence in their product.

5 year parts means I'll not be worried anyway :LOL:

As for your comment on the dishwashers, a recall means FOC and demonstrates sound customer support IMO.
And again 5 year parts guarntee means I'll not be worrying anytime soon :LOL:

Anything does go wonkey, I'll be posting about it ;)

As I said previously, it's only my opinion which is based on my work experiences.
However, to take your points.
Firstly, Bosch are a high volume appliance against LG being a much lower volume appliance. I would therefore fully expect to see far fewer posts about LG.

The 5 year parts guarantee is also offered by other manufacturers, including The Indesit Company. This doesn't make their machines any better but it does net Indesit nearly £90 from the customer when they call to repair the machine after the 1st year. Don't know what charge is made by LG or their service provider.

The dishwasher recall wasn't a demonstration of sound customer support. The first recalls were in New Zealand and were forced upon them by trading standards and the courts there. This was followed by the UK and a few others. However, it wasn't a world wide recall and it wasn't voluntary.

I'd be wondering why LG have had to change service providers so often in the last few years. If memory serves me correctly they're now on their 4th service provider.
I'd also be wondering why they're knocking so much money off the retail price of the appliance.

As you've already purchased your machines I really do hope that they perform well for you. They do for some customers so it's not all bad news.

Unplug your appliance before working on it

Mine too are only opinion, and I respect your own experiences although I would question how long ago you worked on LG appliances?

Before I buy anything of value I do do research.

Just to correct you on a few points you made.

Lucky Goldstar was pre 1995 and surely you'd have to agree the budget stuff they knocked out then is far far removed from the current LG Electronics products.

LG(E) are in actual fact one of the top 3 wordwide market leaders.
Quote from another site
LG's market share in the washing machine segment had been hovering around 34-35 per cent in January-July 2005. In contrast, its share had grown from 25.9 per cent to 34.1 per cent in January-July 2004.

I'm not saying a 5 year guarantee makes them better than anything else, do indesit and the others offer a 5 year parts guarantee on every model of washer they sell as LG do?
I've no idea of any call out charge as the literature I have makes no mention of a charge.
Maybe there is none? or maybe thats a little naive :LOL:
Surely you change service provider to attain the best deal, a very common practice.

LG may be smaller (uk) but if their product was so unreliable, I would also expect a far greater number of those customers to be voicing their concerns, it's all relative.
Folks usually only comment when things go wrong ;)
As I said there are very few posts on any forum about problems with LG washers.

There was only one model being discounted at Comet and Currys, which is the silver model I purchased WM 14225 FD, it is now back to £550 at Currys.
Obviously a sales drive?

[/b]

The last one I worked on was last week. Yet another leaking soap dispenser. Common problem.
I suspect the figures you quote are worldwide and not UK.
You shouldn't see a lot of posts regarding them due to their lower volume and the fact that most people post problems regarding machines that are out of warranty. Independants sold these machines with up to 5 year parts and labour warranty thrown in so quite a lot of these machines are still covered.
The change of service providers wasn't LG's choice. They were dropped by service providers for reasons I cannot go into.
LG whether using their initials or full name are still the same company. Electronics have come a long way over the years and with increased reliability of components this has helped every electronics company produce more reliable equipment. LG still produce a large amount of budget equipment and it is sold under a lot of different brand names.
Regarding the 5 year parts warranty, Hotpoint give a 5 year parts warranty on every washing machine, they're still not a good machine and they are owned by The Indesit Company. I can't say that all Indesit branded machines have the 5 year parts warranty.
We will never agree on LG appliances, I wouldn't have them, I wouldn't recommend them but you've already bought yours.
I hope that your one of the lucky ones and don't have the vibration problems, the bearing problems, electronics faults, bearing failure or leaks that others have suffered from. The one thing I do think is good on them is the direct drive induction motor, the failure rate on these (to date) is relatively low.

Unplug your appliance before working on it.

Fair enough comments.
I'm only voicing my opinion/views after I did research before buying one of these latest LG direct drives.

I dont have any brand loyalty as such so I'm in no way defending what I've purchased, I'll judge on how it performs in the future, be it good or bad.

Funny thing is I've always had cheap indesit washers (which seem to get quite a bashing), as the less gizmos on things means less to go wrong IMO.
Certainly it's paid off up untill now seeing as I've only had 2 in 22 years, one of those being a hand me down from the mother-inlaw :LOL:
Replacement of a door seal and a set of motor brushes the only things to report.
I've either been lucky or things aint made like they were :LOL:

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.

Well I said I'd report back ;)

22 months in, washing machine has and is performing fantastically, the only thing of note is a very occasional attempt at spinning an uneven load, which is acompanied by a most bizzar sounding sucking noise :LOL:

The machine simply stops when this happens regroups and has another go at it :D

Very pleased so far.

As for the dishwasher, phone call time it seems, as the main wash pump appears to have seized up :eek:

To be fair it hasn't had that much use (unlike the washing machine) and i was never 100% happy with the washing performance i.e tea stains in mugs and assorted random unclean items, most odd.

On reflection, maybe the pump was never as it should have been from new?
Oh well I'll find out if it improves when the new one is fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back