Life expectancy of Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are considering the purchase of a 4 bed early 1970s house. The heating and hot / cold water systems are OK at present. Gas fired condensing boiler about 10 yrs old.

Can anyone comment on life expectancy of this system and when we may reasonably expect to have to renew ?

Could we simply replace radiators, sanitary ware and brassware using existing pipework ?

Acknowledge that this is fairly subjective, but general comments would be aprreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i think it is a case of if it aint broke dont fix it. i read here somewhere that back boilers go on, and on and on and.............

the copper (pipes) wont rust but the rads might

I don't think you would have a 10 year old condensing boiler..do you mean combination?

ollski said:
I don't think you would have a 10 year old condensing boiler..do you mean combination?

Believe it is a gas fired condensing boiler - selected for high fuel efficiency (?)

Sponsored Links
Ok fair enough you must have one of the pioneer condensing units to come out about 10 years ago...what is the make / model?

Hi

I'm not sure of make; you're right though, it was an early condensing boiler. Think it was supplied and fitted by BG. Seems to have been fairly reliable, maintained under service contract with BG.

Any comments on longevity of these boilers ?

As regards rest of system, would it be worth replacing radiators whilst utilising existing pipework ? Considering a pressurized water system - should we install water softener to prevent build up of deposits (in hard water area)

Given that we would be having a major refurbishment I'm trying to get as much done as sensible ( and budget permits !) in one hit !!

Your comments appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back